Feature request: saving advanced settings

Everything related to MakeMKV
bvrulez

Feature request: saving advanced settings

Post by bvrulez »

tl;dr: I would like to suggest a feature for the advanced settings page where people can save their settings strings for different occations and reload it appropriately.

longer version:

I usually rip DVDs in english audio (I am german) and therefore don't need no subtitles. Sometimes I would like to add subtitles in English (for other language audios). Sometimes I would like to add subtitles in French to learn the language while watching the movie in German or English.

I could just rip all subtitles every time, you might say.

But I play my videos with minidlna to an (older) SamsungTV which is not capable of deactivating subtitles in general. So they are activated as default. So I just add them when needed and now for this to work I have to open MakeMKV, edit the settings, close, open again, and open a disc to test if I got it right (which I am not always, so I have to re-do this).
spl147

Re: Feature request: saving advanced settings

Post by spl147 »

bvrulez wrote:tl;dr: I would like to suggest a feature for the advanced settings page where people can save their settings strings for different occations and reload it appropriately.

longer version:

I usually rip DVDs in english audio (I am german) and therefore don't need no subtitles. Sometimes I would like to add subtitles in English (for other language audios). Sometimes I would like to add subtitles in French to learn the language while watching the movie in German or English.

I could just rip all subtitles every time, you might say.

But I play my videos with minidlna to an (older) SamsungTV which is not capable of deactivating subtitles in general. So they are activated as default. So I just add them when needed and now for this to work I have to open MakeMKV, edit the settings, close, open again, and open a disc to test if I got it right (which I am not always, so I have to re-do this).
Just create separate profiles for each occasion,
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

bvrulez wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:03 pm
But I play my videos with minidlna to an (older) SamsungTV which is not capable of deactivating subtitles in general.
The DLNA (UPNP) is crap. Use an Media Client Player connected over HDMI which playes anything (DTS, PGS subtiltes, ........)
So I just add them when needed and now for this to work I have to open MakeMKV, edit the settings, close, open again, and open a disc to test if I got it right (which I am not always, so I have to re-do this).
Why not expanding the title in MakeMKV and select/deselect what you need. Easy task without profile updates. With the profile you specify the global selection, with the expanding title option you can make the selection "fine tuning".

It is always a bad idea to convert, deselect or whatever things to make it compatible with the current not correct working equipment. The next equipment may support it and the subtitles, or audio tracks or or or are not there, or have been converted from an better format to an "current compatible" format.
Good Luck :)

Post by bvrulez »

Thanks for the answers to both of you!

Whe already had this discussion once regarding sound issues. What I like about the setup without an extra Media Player is the easy which which I open up a movie. I just need one remote and don't have any waiting time for booting etc. Also, I navigate by folders rather by some fancy stuff that needs to scan the content and then brings up bad results.

But you are right in terms of me losing content. Maybe I would like to switch on another language or subtitle in the future. It already happened when I did not rip subtitles for english movies where they speak spanish in some parts.

The best solution would probably be a better TV with the option to set default subtitles off.

What I don't understand is this profile thing. I can set some profiles in advanced mode but they seem to be related to the way audio is processed. I usually don't want to change that, do I?

Btw. if the standard "{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_t:N2}" from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18313 results in "D1!ERRtemplate_t01" where D1 is the Name I gave in GUI, does it come from DFLT not containing anything?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

bvrulez wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:49 am
Also, I navigate by folders rather by some fancy stuff that needs to scan the content and then brings up bad results.
I use Media Players from "Dune HD" and this is working with folder structures.
What I don't understand is this profile thing. I can set some profiles in advanced mode but they seem to be related to the way audio is processed. I usually don't want to change that, do I?
You cannot specify language selection settings in the profiles. This is obsolet and has been moved to the GUI.
<!-- This tag is ignored by MakeMKV 1.12.4 and later, do not change it here. Set the app_DefaultSelectionString
value in preferences. Keep this element in your custom profiles only for compatibility with older MakeMKV versions.
-->
<profileSettings
app_DefaultSelectionString="-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang"
Btw. if the standard "{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_t:N2}" from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18313 results in "D1!ERRtemplate_t01" where D1 is the Name I gave in GUI, does it come from DFLT not containing anything?
Sorry, never modified the name template
Good Luck :)