File Explorer hangs/locks up after backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
nathanddrews

File Explorer hangs/locks up after backup

Post by nathanddrews »

I have been having this problem forever, but it doesn't really interfere with the backup process, just an annoyance. Curious if anyone else experience the same thing. It happens every single time and I can replicate it over an over.

Issue:
After backing up a disc, I cannot open new File Explorer windows, but I can still use any windows that were open prior to the backup process. I can also backup more discs using MakeMKV without interruption. If I close the local backup directory or server folder that I copy to, I cannot reopen them or navigate to them. File Explorer will just hang and not respond until I click on the desktop (like actually click on the wallpaper), then the Windows taskbar and system tray all reset and everything works normally again.

Additional info:
This issue does not happen under ANY other scenarios - only MakeMKV.
It happens when backing up DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHD Blu-rays.
I have reinstalled Windows several times over the years (Windows 7/10): does not resolve issue.
I have two different BDXL drives and have test them individually and together: does not resolve issue.
I have tested multiple backup destination directories: internal HDD, internal SSD, and USB 3.0 SSD: does not resolve issue.
I sometimes get messages in MakeMKV about the target disk being slow/not responding or something to that effect, but outside of MakeMKV, all my hardware appear normal in benchmarks/SMART.

Hardware:
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz OC
32GB RAM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST Product: BD-RE WH16NS40 Drive platform: MT1959 Firmware type: Original (unpatched) Firmware version: 1.00
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST Product: BD-RE WH14NS40 Drive platform: MT1959 Firmware type: Original (unpatched) Firmware version: 1.00