Beta no longer working. Did leap year throw something off?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Somebody Else

Beta no longer working. Did leap year throw something off?

Post by Somebody Else »

I downloaded & installed MakeMKV in mid-to-late February. It worked for a couple of weeks, but now (starting March 1st) when I attempt to launch it I get an error message that the app is "too old" and that I either need to download a newer version (I'm already using 1.14.7) or purchase a registration key. I received no advance warnings prior to March, and used it as recently as 02/28. I thought I had at least 30 days to try it out? The only thing I can think of that would cause it to fail early would be the software not knowing what to do with February 29th.
g4sho

Re: Beta no longer working. Did leap year throw something off?

Post by g4sho »

Same here.
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm
Expiration of beta key
If I understand it, the beta key is set to expire at X date past the launch date of the current version, not at X date past the user's install date. Given the age of 1.14.7, would it be correct to conclude that *everyone's* beta key just expired this weekend?

addendum - according to Control Panel, I installed the software on 02/25. I got less than a week of use before the beta key expired.
Last edited by Somebody Else on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Somebody Else wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:57 pm
d00zah wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm
Expiration of beta key
If I understand it, the beta key is set to expire at X date past the launch date of the current version, not at X date past the user's install date. Given the age of 1.14.7, would it be correct to conclude that *everyone's* beta key just expired this weekend?
It would. Just look at the 1st dozen, or so, topics in this forum (after stickies). It has happened every ~2 months for many years. That's how it earned a sticky.
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

d00zah wrote: It has happened every ~2 months for many years.
Two months I can understand. What about after four days?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Somebody Else wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:05 pm
d00zah wrote: It has happened every ~2 months for many years.
Two months I can understand. What about after four days?
The embedded key within that install was current when that version was released.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

From the version history on the MakeMKV download page:
MakeMKV v1.14.7 (4.12.2019 )
V1.14.7 was released 4 December 2019, with a key that expired the end of January 2020. If you install it today, that key is already expired, and MakeMKV will report "version too old".

The current beta key expires the end of this month, but MakeMKV won't know about it until you tell it about it. To make that easier, you can set your system DATE back to, say, 20 January 2020, start MakeMKV, and update the key by selecting Help->Register. Once MakeMKV has started, you can put your system date back to current.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging