Extract/backup specific M2TS file

Everything related to MakeMKV
schmivacy

Extract/backup specific M2TS file

Post by schmivacy »

I am new to Blu-ray ripping, and (like most?) I've hit the issue of trying to identify which playlist I want to rip on Blu-rays with multiple variations of a film. I found the following post, which makes a lot of sense:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2158#p8959

Unfortunately, it begs the question of how one is supposed to play a specific M2TS file. Can MakeMKV extract a specific file somehow? (I know that it can back up the entire disc.) Can VLC do this?

(I've searched both the MakeMKV and VLC menus for the above functions, but I haven't found anything that looks promising.)

Apologies if this is a frequently asked question. My searches on this topic were unsuccessful.

Thanks for any pointers!
jinx100

Re: Extract/backup specific M2TS file

Post by jinx100 »

Making a decrypted backup (under File, I think) of the Blu-Ray will give you a folder of all the .m2ts files. Yes, VLC can play the .m2ts files. Just right click on the .m2ts file and choose VLC for "Open With."
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Sometimes the wanted m2ts segment part is listed in the title selection list, but sometimes not. The first titles part with chapters is related to mpls (playlist) files, the part without chapters are the m2ts files (sorted by the number). It depends also on the minimum m2ts time (in the settings) if the m2ts file is there or not.
But the decrypted backup helps in any case. After identify the correct mpls you can open the index.bdmv file from the backup data and use the backup data to create the mkv file, which is very fast because the disc must not read again.
Good Luck :)

Post by schmivacy »

Grauhaar wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm
Sometimes the wanted m2ts segment part is listed in the title selection list, but sometimes not. The first titles part with chapters is related to mpls (playlist) files, the part without chapters are the m2ts files (sorted by the number). It depends also on the minimum m2ts time (in the settings) if the m2ts file is there or not.
Yup. I managed to figure that out while that out while my post was in the moderation queue. :D
Grauhaar wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm
But the decrypted backup helps in any case. After identify the correct mpls you can open the index.bdmv file from the backup data and use the backup data to create the mkv file, which is very fast because the disc must not read again.
True, although that can mean copying a lot of unwanted "bonus" content from some discs.

So it's a bit of a toss-up which approach will be faster for a particular disc.

Thanks!