[Feature Request/Bug] Font Size Scaling - Font Size Too Small

Everything related to MakeMKV
MiKeeVid

[Feature Request/Bug] Font Size Scaling - Font Size Too Small

Post by MiKeeVid »

The font size for MakeMKV does not scale properly for me, so the text is tiny and almost impossible to read. The Windows display option to "Fix scaling for apps" is enabled. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 with a 27-inch 4k monitor. (FYI, in case it's relevant, I frequently access the PC via Remote Desktop.)

My workaround is to run MakeMKV in Windows 8 compatibility mode. For whatever reason, that makes the font a more reasonable size. It still doesn't scale like other applications, but it's at least readable. Any ideas how to resolve this?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (175.32 KiB) Viewed 8691 times
Marc_G

Re: [Feature Request/Bug] Font Size Scaling - Font Size Too Small

Post by Marc_G »

I'll jump on this same train. I recently switched to a 27"4k monitor and run it at 4k with 150% scaling. All my other apps look reasonable in terms of sizing of fonts and popup boxes and UI stuff but MakeMKV remains ultra tiny. It's not obeying windows (10) scaling stuff. Running 1.15.1.

Can this be fixed? If not I'll need to figure out how to do the Win8 compatibility mode (https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... windows-8/) but hope the app can be updated instead.

Love this software; bought it after several years and it was worth every penny!
RAbel1975

Post by RAbel1975 »

I'm in the same boat. Please do something about this.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

makemkv scales fine for me on a 4K display in win 10
i have seen it get whacked out like when the tv goes to sleep and it changed res while sleeping then when it turns back on its messed up a pc reboot fixes it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Paladinz

Post by Paladinz »

MiKeeVid wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:11 pm
The font size for MakeMKV does not scale properly for me, so the text is tiny and almost impossible to read. The Windows display option to "Fix scaling for apps" is enabled. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 with a 27-inch 4k monitor. (FYI, in case it's relevant, I frequently access the PC via Remote Desktop.)

My workaround is to run MakeMKV in Windows 8 compatibility mode. For whatever reason, that makes the font a more reasonable size. It still doesn't scale like other applications, but it's at least readable. Any ideas how to resolve this?
Thank you, I've had the same problem while using Remote Desktop and have had to resort to using Windows Magnifier which was not ideal. Windows 8 compatibility mode has made it usable again!
n8nagel

Post by n8nagel »

I'm running into the same issue. I am also experiencing it with another Java based program that I use (RMIR) so I think this may be a Java issue not a MakeMKV issue. However I tried what looks like a promising solution

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... he%20issue.

and it hasn't worked...

My situation: I am setting up a new PC, I am running two 4k monitors with Windows scaling set to 150%. This is a clean install of Win10 and I am attempting to install the latest version of all the programs that I was previously using. I'm using JDK 21 for both MakeMKV and RMIR. This is the first time I have installed MakeMKV but I have an older version of RMIR running on another machine using JDK 18 and while it is smallish it is readable; it is not now!

Per the link above I went to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-21\bin and changed the properties of Javaw.exe as described
Right click on Javaw.exe and go to Properties
Go to Compatibility tab
Click on the button "Change High DPI settings" and Put check-mark on High DPI Scaling Override section, choose from dropdown menu: "System (Enhanced)", then click OK button and one more OK button
Re-launch Java Console and this should resolve the issue.
I rebooted and that did not help

To the responder who mentioned Windows 8 compatibility, are you running the MakeMKV app itself witn Win8 compatibility?
HumblePie

Post by HumblePie »

Just adding a +1 to this request.

I use Remote Desktop to manage the machine that MakeMKV is on. I've tried several settings to try and work around the lack of font scaling but, so far, nothing seems to work. Please take this as an upvote on the feature request. Thanks.

Here is a screenshot of my current Remote Desktop settings from my Mac.
https://imgur.com/a/4knEmXg
dmdmmatt4

Post by dmdmmatt4 »

Some comments to raise here.

First, and relevant to all, but particularly the RDP users .. - Font scaling is only applied at Windows session startup . So if you start an RDP session from a display device with middling DPI (e.g. a 1920x1080 24" monitor) that's the DPI the apps get told to render for - and it works fine. If you subsequently connect from a display device with 4k and a much higher DPI then they won't rescale for you. Start a brand new desktop session from the 4k client and they'll scale just fine.

Second - I like small fonts, and I'm entirely happy with the fonts being used by default on my own 4k monitor, but then it's a 32" so it's generous in proportion and the DPI is not so extreme as some systems can find themselves with.

In my experience makemkv fonts scale correctly at session startup based on Windows 11's display settings. i.e. your chosen scale factor (e.g. 125%, 150%) and the physical device DPI.