MakeMKV no longer finds my BluRayDrive

Everything related to MakeMKV
BeepDog

MakeMKV no longer finds my BluRayDrive

Post by BeepDog »

I ripped several of my BluRay disks, and then suddenly it can no longer detect the drive.

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Code 3221225506 at %$}K=]<+i9RsP^91+Nhl:213130582
I can open the disk in Explorer and see that there's AACS BDMV and CERTIFICATE in there. I'm really at a loss, since before rebooting it worked just fine. I was having some trouble with read errors, it couldn't rip this disk. Maybe the drive is failing?

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/tvkqoJS

Thanks for any help!
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV no longer finds my BluRayDrive

Post by Woodstock »

Windows has stopped telling MakeMKV that there are optical drives. They key is finding out WHY.

If it persists across a reset (not just reboot; a power-down restart that resets the hardware itself), check your permissions; Win10's Fall 2019 update adds rules that exclude a lot of programs from having access to hardware, in the name of "ransomware" protection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BeepDog

Post by BeepDog »

Yeah I saw the ransomware thing, it's already Off. I'll try the full power down thing.

It is also an externally attached drive, as I don't have space for an internal direct attached SATA drive any more.

<some time passed>

Tried full power down, disconnect/reconnect various power cycles on the external enclosure as well.

Windows sees the drive just fine, but not MakeMKV. What permissions would I look at beyond the ransomware thing?

Thanks!
BeepDog

Post by BeepDog »

I know these posts are currently moderated, so my other reply didn't go through.

If I start it with "run as administrator"( https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20523 ) it is able to see my Drive again.

I don't think I ever did that in the past, but it's more than an acceptable option for me at the moment.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Moderators were busy today... :)

There is a driver you can install with v1.15 and later to make it so that MakeMKV doesn't have to be run as an Administrator. That DRIVER has to have admin rights, but MakeMKV can be run as a normal user if it is running. I have not personally tested it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Not a driver - a service, supported from 1.14.4 . Just check all boxes during installation. http://www.makemkv.com/wincdarb/
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

@mike, does it make sense to loosen the permission for everyone, would it be better to limit it to a group that one has to be a member of and if one runs MakeMKV without being in that group it asks you if you want to add yourself to the group and temporarily raises privileges in order to do that?