Fatal error (crash) when canceling

Everything related to MakeMKV
vertigo

Fatal error (crash) when canceling

Post by vertigo »

MakeMKV sometimes tends to become unresponsive and then crash when attempting to cancel a backup operation. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, i.e. why it happens some times and not others, but it does seem to happen more frequently when the operation is canceled right away, while still in the decryption phase. In fact, that's the only time, to my knowledge, that I've had it happen.

Usually, when cancelling, at least after decryption is done, it cancels immediately. Sometimes, however, it takes a while, seeming unresponsive. In these cases, it sometimes cancels properly, but usually it doesn't, and instead becomes completely unresponsive before crashing. I'm not sure, but clicking the cancel button again, due to the cancellation seeming to be stuck, might increase the risk of it crashing, though it isn't necessary to cause it.

I got this error in the log when it took a while to cancel but ended up successfully doing so:

Code: Select all

Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (65)' occurred while issuing SCSI command 4602010D0..010 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
and these when it crashed:

Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (122)' occurred while reading '/AACS/MKB_RO.inf' at offset '20'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (65)' occurred while issuing SCSI command 4602010D0..010 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive

Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (122)' occurred while reading '/AACS/MKB_RO.inf' at offset '244'
so it seems the 122 error may be a clue.

It also says "Using LibreDrive mode (v06 id=94DE7D3D0ADE)" though I'm guessing that's pretty standard stuff, but might be important for debugging.

Let me know if I can provide any more info. This is on Win10x64, version 1.15.1.
preserve

Re: Fatal error (crash) when canceling

Post by preserve »

On a related note, when in the process of opening a disc, cancelling doesn't really cancel as one might expect.

I had a disc with a huge amount of titles, so I decided to cancel the opening process and temporarily increase my minimum title length setting (since I normally set it pretty low), hoping that doing so would provide a faster open.

But even after pressing cancel, it still proceeded to loop through the rest of the playlists on the disc, taking several minutes to do so. When it completed, the disc opened and showed all the titles that had been processed before I pressed the cancel button.

The icon for the cancel button is a stop sign with a hand in it... to my mind, this reads as "abort" or "stop immediately" - I expected it to cancel (fairly) immediately, and just return to the main screen. Having this button function in this manner might be an idea.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
vertigo

Re: Fatal error (crash) when canceling

Post by vertigo »

Agree. Cancel should *always* mean cancel/abort, i.e. *immediately* stop. I realize this isn't always possible, but far too often software doesn't work this way, and it's definitely a pet peeve of mine. I rarely use the main function, instead preferring to make backups and work from those, but when I do, that behavior would be frustrating, and I do think I've experienced it once or twice before.