Does MakeMKV downmix audio?

Everything related to MakeMKV
safarian24

Does MakeMKV downmix audio?

Post by safarian24 »

I use two main programs for muxing. MakeMKV and MKVToolNix. And I've noticed this on several random movies...

I noticed when I use the same .mpls playlist to mux a movie from each app, MakeMKV will sometimes (if not most times) give me an additional DTS track aside from the DTS-HD MA track - I'm not sure I've seen this with Dolby TruHD/Atmos audio tracks.

Using the same playlist file, MKVToolNix will only show me the DTS-HD MA track. If I throw the raw .m2ts track that the playlist is referencing into MediaInfo, it doesn't show me this extra DTS track. So if I mux with MKVToolNix, I get the exact info that was shown in MediaInfo from the raw .m2ts.

So I guess my question is - Where is MakeMKV pulling this extra audio track from? Or is it downmixing the DTS-HD MA track to DTS and leaving it as an additional track? To be clear, I actually like that I'm getting this extra track. Just curious how this is working. Thanks!
preserve

Re: Does MakeMKV downmix audio?

Post by preserve »

Short answer - it's the lossy core of the lossless master audio.

If you want, you can unselect it using the expandable tree when you're browsing the titles in MakeMKV.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
safarian24

Re: Does MakeMKV downmix audio?

Post by safarian24 »

Awesome. Thank you for the explanation! I will keep it.