Where is the new drive speed option?

Everything related to MakeMKV
allomere

Where is the new drive speed option?

Post by allomere »

I am surely missing it, but I can't seem to find the new drive speed option in 1.15.2. Can anyone set me straight?
SamuriHL

Re: Where is the new drive speed option?

Post by SamuriHL »

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see it anywhere obvious and I've got an ns60.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

allomere

Post by allomere »

Me too! I guess that means it's not a drive issue. :lol:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

morbius

Post by morbius »

Would have been rather helpful if this was made clear on the main-page release notes, as the obvious first thing for a user to do is go looking for it in the GUI.
morbius

Post by morbius »

And apologies, I forgot to say thanks for posting the link..
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

morbius wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 pm
Would have been rather helpful if this was made clear on the main-page release notes, as the obvious first thing for a user to do is go looking for it in the GUI.
It was a hard choice, not pulling it to GUI. I nearly killed on of my drives experimenting with different settings... Let's see it will go...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 pm
morbius wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 pm
It was a hard choice, not pulling it to GUI. I nearly killed on of my drives experimenting with different settings... Let's see it will go...
I'm guessing posting any issues we find will help you gather data.

Note: Us posting data does NOT mean anything will necessarily be done with it. Giving data points to Mike could be useful to find out where the challenges are, that's all.
aloha

Post by aloha »

Hello:

1st Thank you so much for the latest additions - AWESOME!

2nd - Stupid question time: I have a Windows system. Based on the link provided above, does the registry entry require quotes?

3rd - My OCD problem, but just in case you missed it... I noticed that when I CLI sdftools(64) and makemkvcon(64) f with the --help argument, the following line has a typo:

"Loads SDF.bin and invokes a specified command from drive-specific SDF, or performs one of the built-in commans." vs "commands"

I know you're extremely busy, and I cringe at even making mention of the typo as I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would rather bring it to your attention now so it might be corrected in a later version. Or, this just might be humorous.

Have a great day!
A
Goof245

Post by Goof245 »

Mike, thank you so much for this new speed control feature. All of my drives now rip at a *much* faster speed, particularly DVDs in my bluray drives. I don't have to swap to using DVD drives just to get speeds above 3.5x any more <3

My BH16 "pretending to be a WH16" now proves to be an absolute monster of a drive compared to my pioneer... Saw 37MB/s for the first time last night :lol:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

aloha wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 pm
2nd - Stupid question time: I have a Windows system. Based on the link provided above, does the registry entry require quotes?
No quotes on the reg entry.
morbius

Post by morbius »

My Asus BW-16D1HT on 3.10 MK firmware is currently flying through the UHD of Spiderman Homecoming with “0=99” set for drive speed. Does this mean that 3.10 MK does not have the sleep bug?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

morbius wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:06 pm
My Asus BW-16D1HT on 3.10 MK firmware is currently flying through the UHD of Spiderman Homecoming with “0=99” set for drive speed. Does this mean that 3.10 MK does not have the sleep bug?
Maybe. It is highly drive and media dependent.
Some have observed issues on friendly drives only with triple-layer UHD.
Sometimes it happens just on layer change.
Maybe ASUS fw really has a fix (in a sense that it allows reliable speed control for UHD media).
Another factor - previously, in case of read error, MakeMKV tried to retry the operation on the same (ultra high) speed, which eventually caused permanent tracking error (sleep bug).
As of 15.2 MakeMKV first switches to lowest speed when it encounters a read error, reads data at the lowest speed, and then commands the drive so spin up once it gets consistent flow of data.
This could be a factor that eliminates tracking errors on layer change.

Let's see... :)
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:19 pm
aloha wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 pm
No quotes on the reg entry.
Quietly editing my registry.... :lol: Thanks for asking the "stupid" question (notice the quotes?)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It probably works either way but typically registry entries don't require quotes.