Makemkv makes everything 480p

Everything related to MakeMKV
CreepyShit

Makemkv makes everything 480p

Post by CreepyShit »

Heya, sorry if this is a dumb question but I've recently come across Makemkv and found it very easy to use to turn my iso and omg files into mkv files for Plex to read, however what I didn't notice for some time was that all my files ends up as 480p even 1080p original files, which makes it useless to me.
I've been using the free beta so I'm wondering if its a limitation to that as I can't seem to find anywhere I can change that, obviously I don't want to pay for a key if I can only make 480p which I tbh can't stand watching, so any input in this matter will be greatly appreciated :)
Woodstock

Re: Makemkv makes everything 480p

Post by Woodstock »

Since MakeMKV doesn't change the video, what were the original ISOs made from? You won't get 1080p from a DVD ISO.

Also, having Plex involved is another wild-card, since Plex will recode video on the fly to match device profiles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CreepyShit

Post by CreepyShit »

Hey, some has been DVD iso's yeah but others have been blu-ray iso's in 1080p, and yes I know about Plexiglas, but that sadly seems to be the only platform for me to stream to my different devices.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The test is to access the files directly with something like VLC on your computer. Are the BD-sourced MKVs really standard definition?

This isn't a 100% test, because I have a number of Bluray disks that contain SD video. They stuff the equivalent of a half-dozen or more DVDs into ONE FILE. Makes it interesting to break it down to individual episodes with handbrake...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CreepyShit

Post by CreepyShit »

Thanks, as it turns out its Plex not liking the mkv's that makemkv creates and plays them as 576i at best, so it seems I can't use this rather nice program for what I need sadly....
xr200

Post by xr200 »

I suspect you are incorrectly blaming Plex and/or MakeMKV for some kind of (no offense) pilot error.
Many, many users, including myself, use Plex and MakeMKV streaming to all kinds of devices
with no problem whatsoever.
CreepyShit

Post by CreepyShit »

No offense taken :-D
I just can't see what I can do different as there are no settings I can change to make Plex not change my files to 576i max, which is just yet another issue I have with Plex, been using it for quite a few years but it seems (to me at least) to get more and more buggy.