Questions about 'streaming', captions, and such

Everything related to MakeMKV
dhstraayer

Questions about 'streaming', captions, and such

Post by dhstraayer »

I currently have a WDTVLive on my network. I rip DVDs (now using MakeMKV, previously I used MagicDVD) to files on my server. I use WDTV's "network connect" and navigate to my files. It worked OK with the MagicDVD rip directories, but somewhat better with .mkv files as output from MakeMKV. I notice that 'fast forward' and especially 'rewind' and 'fast rewind' work a lot better with .mkv files. All well and fine.

I have a bit of hearing loss, and I always play movies with English captions on, if available. For the most part, that seems to work quite well. Occasionally, I'll get a movie with no English captions, but Spanish or some other language, and I have to temporarily turn off captions on the WDTV. No big deal.

Now I'm thinking about getting a blu-ray internal drive for my computer and trying HD movies. It looks like MakeMKV is just the ticket to do this.

Here are a couple of questions:

Would streaming mode generally work better than 'network connect'? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Are captions going to be an issue? I noticed a lot of posts elsewhere on the forum concerning captions. Perhaps streaming might be better or worse for handling them?

In general: Kudos for a great piece of work. I just purchased a license - what you've done so far justifies not waiting until you get out of beta!