Chapter bug...

Everything related to MakeMKV
kracor

Chapter bug...

Post by kracor »

At the point where one chapter ends and the next begins, there is a slight delay in the video playback of about .5 seconds. During this time, the audio continues to play and it's a very odd feeling to see the actors with their mouths closed yet still speaking. The audio/video never loses synch, but it's still disconcerting nonetheless. I am not attempting to do any kind of HD work, just used DVD Shrink to copy the movie without compression, used MakeMKV to create .mkv's of side 1 & 2 and used TSsplitter to join the two .mkv's into a single .mkv. The original .vob's do not display any abnormalities during playback. And each of the .mkv's prior to the joining do display the video glitches. I am using Windows XP SP3 and the players I have tested the video with are Windows Media Player and Zoom Player.
mike admin

Re: Chapter bug...

Post by mike admin »

I believe that it is a player problem. We've never seen anything like this. Do you have latest CCCP codec pack installed?
kracor

Post by kracor »

mike admin wrote:I believe that it is a player problem. We've never seen anything like this. Do you have latest CCCP codec pack installed?
Mike,

I don't have the CCCP codec's installed at all. When I downgraded from Vista back to XP, I didn't reinstall them. I'll give that a shot and let you know.
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

Took the original .vob's and converted to mkv after downloading and installing the, I hope, most current CCCP codecs from the CCCP home page. Ran the .mkv in Zoom Player and Windows Media Player 11 and the chapter issues still exist.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

kracor wrote:Mike,

Took the original .vob's and converted to mkv after downloading and installing the, I hope, most current CCCP codecs from the CCCP home page. Ran the .mkv in Zoom Player and Windows Media Player 11 and the chapter issues still exist.
Can you please try VLC player? It has builtin MKV support and I would like to know if it will have the same problems.
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

Thanks for your support on this. I downloaded the most current Windows installer of VLC Player from the VideoLAN website and played through the .mkv, watching the areas where I know the video issues were being introduced. VLC Player reduced the length of the occurences, but did not eliminate them entirely. Upon further investigation with this new tool you have provided me with, I feel that I know with some certainty exactly where things are messing up.

In ripping the DVD to my hard drive, I use DVD Shrink because it allows me to rip both the Theatrical version AND the Extended version from the interleaved DVD. The .vob files that are created in the rip play without any issue using WinDVD or WMP 11.The area's that display the video delays are the scene cuts that make up the difference between the two versions. Using Zoom Player or WMP 11, each of the scene cuts display a delay that would make one think that frames are being cut from the .mkv. Using VLC, the video scenes don't appear to have any frames cut out, but do display a very slight 'hang', like flipping a switch off, then back on immediately.

As stated before, the delay is almost imperceptible, but is there and is always in the same places in the video playback. Is there a way in which I could provide you with a small clip to show you what I am seeing?
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

I think I replied to your PM properly, but not sure. If you haven't received the links provided, could you please let me know.
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

Again, I do appreciate your assistance. Last night, I did a little more hunting 'under the surface' and found a couple more things that might assist.

1. I used WinDVD to open the .vob file without accessing the VTS_01.IFO file and noted that the video anomalies were extremely pronounced. I then renamed the .vob file back to VTS_01_1.VOB and opened the movie using the 'open from folder' option in WinDVD and the clip played faultlessly. I can only only assume, at this point, that it was using the navigation pointers from the original .IFO file.

Did some searching around trying to find something that would show me the underlying structure of the DVD and found PGCEdit. Installed that little piece of software and opened the .vob I created and noted the following...

2. The .vob was created in 3 cells. The video issues occur exactly at the beginning of cells 2 & 3. The issue would then be one of 'navigation' rather than 'conversion'.

I am not skilled right now in working with the underlying cells of a DVD movie, so it may take me a little bit to try to combine the cells without creating a mess. I'll let you know what I'm able to find out.
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

Good to see things still running along. :) Just wanted to let you know that with 1.4.2, the issue with the delays is still present. 8)
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

I have installed and run the 1.4.4 version of MakeMKV and am beginning to suspect that the chapter bug reported is not actually an issue with MakeMKV, but with the players themselves. With 1.4.4, the hanging of the video at the juncture of certain chapters has been lessened, but other junctures are still glaringly obvious. Not exactly sure what can be done, or if MakeMKV even needs to do anything more than it has, but I will post a bug to the VideoLAN website and see if they can make heads or tails of this. Thanks so very much for keeping us in tune with the goings on there. This will be a wonderful addition to any serious videophile's collection of tools.
kracor

Post by kracor »

Mike,

The current version of MakeMKV still displays the delay on my interleaved DVD's of The Lord of the Rings. I appreciate that there is a lot of work going on and that for most DVD's it's been a godsend. I just hope that the solution to my issue can be found by yourselves or by the folks over at VLC. Thanks for making this software available, as it's the only piece of software I've found that really does the job it's supposed to do.