avantgate only offers to charge in "local" currency

Everything related to MakeMKV
thetoad

avantgate only offers to charge in "local" currency

Post by thetoad »

I can't select USD to purchase in, so I will get hit twice by currency conversion when I use my us credit card in a foreign country on high currency conversion to foreign currency (comes out to about $60 with vat/tax listed as 0, instead of $50) and then hit again as will be a foreign currency charge on my US based credit card. any chance we can choose to select the currency?
Woodstock

Re: avantgate only offers to charge in "local" currency

Post by Woodstock »

I would suspect not, because where your credit card calls "home" affects what the taxes are. A US card with a US address will be charged in USD, and have taxes based on the state of the billing address. A British card will be charged in pounds, with appropriate VAT. A Japanese card, Yen with their taxes.

Such are the ways the banking and taxing laws are interpreted.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Re: avantgate only offers to charge in "local" currency

Post by thetoad »

1) considering I order from amazon all the time with my US credit and get it shipped overseas (or at least did before covid jacked up shipping prices), that's not true.

2) it would still be cheaper for me to pay $50 + 6% sales tax for state where my credit card billing address is than $60 in foreign currency (+ further currency conversion fee).

now, if you say they wont charge me in the foreign currency if I give a us billing address that would be ok, but the webpage its on, gives no indication that this is true.