Am I missing Closed Captions with 2.6.3 ??

Everything related to MakeMKV
Wasabi

Re: Am I missing Closed Captions with 2.6.3 ??

Post by Wasabi »

blue text guy wrote:Interesting that the example you chose to display does not incorporate the almost standard black background for Closed caption display...
It's not "standard" or even "almost standard". Captions are just embedded text along with formatting and positioning info. If you're used to seeing black borders, that's because the hardware that displays them added them to be sure the captions would be visible on any color background. It's a relic from the days of the earliest TVs that had Line 21 capability. It's certainly not necessary nowadays with software that can add borders and nice drop shadows to the text so it's visible no matter what.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Wasabi wrote:They look much better than blocky bitmap subtitles:

Is this supposed to be a screenshot of text-based CC or DVD bitmap subtitles? Looks like the latter.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Romansh wrote:Is this supposed to be a screenshot of text-based CC or DVD bitmap subtitles? Looks like the latter.
It's closed captioning. That's why I said closed captioning a billion times and posted this in a closed caption thread. Hogan's Heroes Season One doesn't have subtitles. It looks blocky because I shrunk the KMPlayer window for the screenshot so as to not post a huge picture here.

Does this satisfy you?

moltikon

Post by moltikon »

It looks like many older DVDs are using CC only which is a pain.

I purchased few sets of older British comedy series recently when Amazon had their royal wedding sale and these have only CC.

I am using Linux so I ended up using ccextractor to extract the CC into one large srt and then Gaupol Subtitle Editor to split and shift them for proper syncing for each episode. mkvmerge then merged them with the MKV that makemkv created.

As I said, a real pain in the rear.
jimva

Post by jimva »

I have spent a week now learning about "Closed Captions" for DVD's.

Apparently there are different types of closed captions.

EIA-608 appears to be the original standard and is a simple text stream. Notepad on windows can create one.

VOBSUB's and RLE are graphics based with no text information in it, it's all graphics.

It appears that there may be others but it seems if it is not EIA-608 standard then it is a graphics based system.

Cc-extractor can create a file for extracting EIA-608 text from DVD's, which can then be muxed into a .mkv file.

I love MakeMKV, but it appears to not extract the EIA-608 text from DVD's this saddens me.

I use Plex for my media library it recommends the EIA-608 text for your media.

I have not tried yet but I believe from other readings that if you were to convert your media that has graphics based captions. that the result could be fragmented or distorted letters on the screen.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Of course, MakeMKV does rip subtitles.

I guess I don't see the difference because I don't need them, but haven't subtitles largely replaced closed captioning anyway? Some subtitles are the fully descriptive ones as well that tell you about background sounds, etc, depending on the movie.

I always rip subtitles but only use them if there's a line I don't understand, a non-English bit that's not burned-in, or a foreign film of course - and for that, subtitles have always been just fine.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
jimva

Post by jimva »

preserve

Learning more every day about sub titles and captions. I have 2 toddlers and a swamp cooler to save energy. the noise levels are so loud at times that if my tv is at full blast i still miss most of the sound track on a movie.

So I use closed captions or subtitles all the time.

Closed captions are text based in EIA-608 (old TV format) or the new text based captions new EIA-708 for TV.

Sub titles are graphics based and appear to dominate the newer DVD's and blue ray's.

There are many good reasons to prefer the text based captions. here is a list why.

1. Less bandwidth, if you wish to watch your movies on the go this makes sense.
2. Less storage space.
3. Less CPU power, trans-coders like Plex burns the captions into the video before being transmitted.
4. Mistakes in the captions can be easily corrected.
5. If the video is modified this could have detrimental effects on graphics based subtitles little to no effect on text based closed captions.

I use .MKV as my primary format.
In my .MKV file I only put in video, english audio, english closed captions.