Automatic HK download disabled or failed

Everything related to MakeMKV
Billycar11

Re: Automatic HK download disabled or failed

Post by Billycar11 »

waitin_outside wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:24 pm
Hello,
I am using the latest and greatest ver and can still see this error right from the very first day I upgraded to ver 1.17.5
Unable to rip many 4k discs because of currently not able to download the hash keys. Please advise ...

"Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed."
normal steps are
change dns
try vpn
check firewall region blocking settings
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
CrunchyFrog

Post by CrunchyFrog »

I just had this same issue upon upgrading to the latest 1.17 release. I had to uninstall and reinstall a prior release to get it to download the HK files. Upon reinstalling the latest release though I can now rip files correctly. I feel like something must have broken since 1.17 because I also went through all those troubleshooting steps and still had issues, despite having used makemkv for years prior without issues and without changing my hardware or networking settings.
vladimirgluten

Post by vladimirgluten »

Kryst wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm
New to here but I wanted to chime in with a unique config. I tried multiple different variations of validating that I could resolve hkdata.fairuse.org to an IP however I couldn't download the sdf.dat.gz. I was able to download it from another location however when attempting to scan a UHD disc it would error out.

What did end up working is the following. I have Ubiquiti gear that, while traffic is allowed, has the option of restricting via GeoIP. Depending upon where DNS resolves, it would map to IP space in a specific country and be blocked. As of today I was able to solve this by removing the filtered country "Russian Federation".

Solving this in the future would entail:
1. Finding out what the program is using to download the sdf (in this case hkdata.fairuse.org.
2. Resolving the name to an IP address.
3. Using a whois lookup of the IP space to see what country it's associated with/hosted in.
4. Allow traffic outbound through your Ubiquiti gear and verify you're not blocking the above country (details on configuring: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/3 ... ection.%20)

Again this was very situational but I'm unblocked and moving forward.
Holy shit! This whole time I've had issues with the SDF file not downloading and I could never figure it out. I would always just download it manually whenever MakeMKV gave me the error. Today I'm trying to rip a 4k disc and it's the first time I'm seeing the error about the HK file and it won't open the disc. I find your post, I also have Ubiquiti gear and I also geo-block Russia. Sure enough, I look up the IP address for hkdata.fairuse.org and see it's a Russian IP. I temporarily removed Russia from my geo-block and the interesting thing is, it still said it failed to download the HK file, but this time MakeMKV was able to open the disc and I'm currently ripping it right now, so thank you so much for this! I added a traffic rule to allow that domain so hopefully I won't have issues in the future.
horsezip

Post by horsezip »

nerver did really get fix eirther
jimmy
waitin_outside

Post by waitin_outside »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 am
waitin_outside wrote:
Hello,
I am using the latest and greatest ver and can still see this error right from the very first day I upgraded to ver 1.17.5
Unable to rip many 4k discs because of currently not able to download the hash keys. Please advise ...

normal steps are
change dns
try vpn
VPN worked, thanks.
moppietaylor

Post by moppietaylor »

waitin_outside wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 am
waitin_outside wrote:
Hello,

normal steps are
change dns
try vpn
VPN worked, thanks.
Worked here for me as well.
JosephEC

Post by JosephEC »

raade wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 pm
I am in the same boat using Ubiquiti. I turned off Malicious IPs, Threat Management and DPI but still can't download the HK file from hkdata.fairuse.org. Oddly enough I curl hkdata.fairuse.org from the USG and get a page back. I could also pull the SDF file using curl http://hkdata.fairuse.org/svq/sdf.dat.gz --output sdf.dat.gz. I am using the USG Pro version v4.4.51. What Ubiquiti gear are you running? You would happen to know the name and location of the HK on the fairuse server would you?
Thanks.
Whitelisted the URL in my antivirus/firewall tonight and it downloaded it just fine! :) So, tomorrow morning I'm going to try it with software and disc and see how it does. I was getting an error about the file being denied as it may be dangerous prior to whitelisting the URL tonight and I downloaded it after whitelisting without any error message at all, so I'm hopeful that Makemkv won't have any issue tomorrow.

Windows 11 box.
JosephEC

Post by JosephEC »

Tried an nslookup on hkdata.fairuse.org and got the following response:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 2001:558:feed::1

*** UnKnown can't find hkdata.fairuse.org: No response from server

Worked yesterday and the day before that and responded with an IP, but not tonight.

Odd...
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

It's not working for me either when trying to access a disc that I had to submit a dump file for. I've tried a few that it cannot connect to check for new keys.
questinghero

Post by questinghero »

Add me to the list of people who are not working. I am in the US on Comacast, Figured I would share to see if maybe ISPs are blocking the site.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone but I'm also worried here, you all...
questinghero

Post by questinghero »

JosephEC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:04 am
Tried an nslookup on hkdata.fairuse.org and got the following response:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 2001:558:feed::1

*** UnKnown can't find hkdata.fairuse.org: No response from server

Worked yesterday and the day before that and responded with an IP, but not tonight.
This is the same thing I get. Does anybody have the latest HK file that they would be willing to share? If this breaks the terms of service, please ignore me.
questinghero

Post by questinghero »

Update: NM, I don't think the below worked after all, but I'll leave it here in case I am wrong.

Original:
Try adding the following proxy server under view->preferences->general

Code: Select all

180.183.157.159:8080
I found a free proxy server from here: https://vpnoverview.com/privacy/anonymo ... y-servers/

I think this fixed it, but the HK for my disk isn't known yet (I emailed it in).
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

questinghero wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:31 pm
Update: NM, I don't think the below worked after all, but I'll leave it here in case I am wrong.

Original:
Try adding the following proxy server under view->preferences->general

Code: Select all

180.183.157.159:8080
I found a free proxy server from here: https://vpnoverview.com/privacy/anonymo ... y-servers/

I think this fixed it, but the HK for my disk isn't known yet (I emailed it in).
That didn't work for me.
questinghero

Post by questinghero »

Yeah, it just stopped the warning message for me, it still isn't downloading the HK file :-(