Copying HD-DVDs - do I need to do anything different?

Everything related to MakeMKV
RutlandRover

Copying HD-DVDs - do I need to do anything different?

Post by RutlandRover »

Hi all,

As I've recently upgraded my PC I've turned the old one in to a media server and I'm in the process of copying my collection of DVDs, Blu Rays and HD-DVDs to it.

I've had no trouble copying DVDs and Blu Rays (so far at least) but I'm having trouble with HD-DVDs. The drive in my PC is 100% capable of reading them - the PC is from the time when HD-DVDs were actually current technology. It's an LG HD-DVD/Blu Ray combo drive.

I've tried The Fast and the Furious but it just says "failed to open" in the lower window of Make MKV with no other text.

I've tried Ocean's Eleven and it seems to open correctly but doesn't find the movie on the disc. It finds four "titles": theMaking (792MB), theLook (508.2MB), playAll (110.8MB) and playAll (114.0MB). The lower window shows what must be a couple of thousand lines of "The source file '/HVDVD_TS/theatricalTrailer.EVO' is corrupt or invalid at offset 40376320, attempting to work around". I've scrolled up and they all either theatricalTrailer or teaserTrailer.

I've tried to search the forum for HD-DVD but it says the search terms are too common and won't show results. I tried searching for the names of my movies with HD-DVD but it doesn't really show much either - other formats are (understandably) much more common.

I saw The Fast and the Furious listed in the problematic HD-DVDs thread but didn't seen Ocean's Eleven. Ocean's Thirteen was listed with the same issue but there was a comment later on saying that it was fixed with a newer release of Make MKV.

Is there a way to make either of these (and any of my other HD-DVDs - I have quite a few) work? I understand it's a long dead format and unlikely to be any developers main focus when making software but it would be nice if I could get them working :)