A list of movies with forced subs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
boe_d

A list of movies with forced subs?

Post by boe_d »

I found a bunch - most missed a ton of movies and none that I found had the scene so if I wanted to test, I'd have to scroll through the whole movie. I'm guessing I have about 50 movies with forced subs but put a gun to my head I can't tell you the names or the scenes.

I've got 2 so far
Red heat - at the beginning when he's arresting Victor in the bar (before he rips off the guys leg).
Bourne Identity - about 10 minutes in - he's being woken up by the police.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

I'm going to fix the subtitle tags on all my movies but I'd like to test to make sure I get it right and having the scenes or time of the scene would really help.
Woodstock

Re: A list of movies with forced subs?

Post by Woodstock »

Several people have posted about a master list being maintained "somewhere". AVSFORUM has a message thread going back to 2010, there was a short-lived thread here in 2012, but I remember seeing mention of a googledoc spreadsheet out there.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
gonca

Post by gonca »

Thread at AVS
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/movies ... s.1176923/
and googledoc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =552731417

Don't know how up to date or complete it is
dn9909

Post by dn9909 »

Don't mind if a newbie interject: What exactly is the problem concerning forced subs? Do they not show up on certain mkv files, and so you have to make a bdmv file instead to have them show up?

And to clarify: "forced subs" are subtitles that are automatic, right?-- say like in a predominately English movie, there may be times when a foreign language is spoken and the subtitles are automatically on the screen?

Thank you.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

dn9909 - yes forced subs are for when you are watching a movie with audio in one language and the translation for another language comes up on screen. THey work for shiny discs but many alternative methods of streaming them have an issue.

There are a number of methods of getting subs to work such as matching srt files but many people claim the timing is off as they may not be from the same file / version of the movie.

I finally got them to work in plex but want to fix all my movies so the forced subs are properly tagged.

Gonca - that is one of the many disappointing lists that only list movies, not where in the movie they engage and it is missing many movies I have that do have forced subs.
gonca

Post by gonca »

In BD's the forced subs sometimes aren't marked as forced, there is a smaller sub track that the playlist instructs the player to show
preserve

Post by preserve »

boe_d wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:46 am
Gonca - that is one of the many disappointing lists that only list movies, not where in the movie they engage
Are you looking beyond the first "tab" in the spreadsheet? There's Blu-ray, DVD, and TV Shows tabs, and they have timestamps and a description for every one. It's a bit strange that they put the "No Subtitles" tab first.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00