Sub Title Issues...

Everything related to MakeMKV
MGS153

Sub Title Issues...

Post by MGS153 »

Hi Peeps...

Newbie here... Saying Hello..

I have an Iomega ScreenPlay Director 2TB Media Play I bought at Christmas to transfer all my DVD's to.. I am using only MakeMKV to convert them as I wanted to maintain the sound & picture quality.. For which I am very pleased with the outcome so far.. I have copied about 400 DVD's so far.. :D

The one issue I seem to have is with subtitles... I have just ripped the Mummy Series of DVD's and the out come has been;

Mummy 1 - Great sound and pictures But No Language Translations so no subtitles.
Mummy 2 - Poor Sound (Volume goes down on action scenes instead of up - I am re ripping it to change this) and great pictures & Full Language Translations with subtitles.
Mummy 3 - Great sound and pictures But No Language Translations so no subtitles.

I am checking all the English subtitle boxes when copying... :roll:

Now I am having the same subtitle issues with other DVD's also..

Can some one shed some light on this for me... :?

Thanks
kfreeb

Re: Sub Title Issues...

Post by kfreeb »

Are you just using the raw MKV files, created by MakeMKV, or are you using another software to encode the files created by MakeMKV?

Personally, I use Handbrake to encode the files created by MakeMKV and use the include subtitles option, (forced only) to include subtitles when needed. The file size is much smaller and the image quality is equal to the DVD's Mpeg2, when the RF selector is set to 16.
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (mid 2012)
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
MGS153

Post by MGS153 »

I'm just using the raw MakeMKV code that comes from the disc and transfering this to the Iomega unit...

So am I doing it wrong?

I have never used Handbrake, but have read a few posts about it - But this is all new to me...

I'm not a complete Numpty but I'm no computer expert... :)
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

I guess I can tell you my work flow, and you can take it for what its worth!

I use Make MKV to rip the disk into MKV format. I then check to see if the audio is in AC3, if not, I use an media transcoder, to convert any audio that doesn't show up as DD, (dolby digital audio.) The transcoder I use is "iMedia Converter", but any audio transcoder that can convert to AC3 would be OK. I convert to AC3 using these settings in iMedia Converter, AC3 - Dolby Digital AC-3 / 6 audio channels / bitrate of 448000 and a sample rate of 48000. Hand brake will convert on the fly to AAC surround sound, but AC3 is way better AAC, not to mention the file size for AC3 audio is way smaller that DTS or any HD audio source, (even though the quality of HD audio is better that AC3) the trade off in quality is small for the amount of space you will save on your media server.

Once the audio is converted to AC3 audio, us use MKV Toolnix to combine the original MKV file with the AC3 audio that I just converted. I also uncheck the old audio track that shows up in MKV toolnix, (when importing the MKV file you created with Make MKV.) While in MKV Toolnix, I move the position of the AC3 track, to be between the movie track, (always shows up at the top of the list, of the imported MKV file) and the PGS Subtitles track. So, the list would read top to bottom, movie track, Old audio track, (unchecked, turned off) New AC3 audio track, PGS subtitles track, and then the Chapters track at the bottom.

At this point you would pick your destination to write the file to and then click the "Start Muxing" button. The file that is created would then be used to encode from, using Handbrake.

Handbrake allows you to use presets that come with it and I use the Apple TV setting. I did modify the picture Setting of Handbrakes Apple TV from its default of an anamorphic 967x544 to "None" for anamorphic and the window size manually set to 1280x720. Other than that, I used all of the original settings for the Apple TV preset. The picture quality is excellent and the file size is always between 2 to 3 GB, for a two hour movie.

Just so you know, Handbrake's modified presets can be saved as your own custom presets.

If you need subtitles, you will then need to convert those to VOB format. PGS is all that is used in blu-rays and does need to be converted to VOB format using other software not mentioned here, but I did cover that in another post here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2383. Handbrake can take forced VOB subtitles and burns them into movie image, so that they show up on any media player you wish to play the handbrake encoded files on.

Hope this is of some help!
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (mid 2012)
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6