Unwanted Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
zich6

Unwanted Subtitles

Post by zich6 »

Just ripped Toy Story 3 and Zombieland to a hard drive and both have subtitles when I play back in W7 Media Center using TMT5. What did I do wrong? Do I have to rip again using different settings, or can this be fixed post rip? I'm using version .64. Thanks.
skittle

Re: Unwanted Subtitles

Post by skittle »

They are soft subs, you can turn them off in your playback software. Also you can uncheck them when your ripping with makemkv if you do not want any subs.
zich6

Post by zich6 »

I'm using Windows Media player. I selected no subtitles, closed Media Center, then re-opened and the subtitles are still there.

Also, I can't find the subtitle selection to uncheck in Make MKV. Where is it? Thanks.
zich6

Post by zich6 »

So, again, how do you identify and uncheck the subtitle selection in makemkv?
knobbi

Post by knobbi »

When the 'tree" representing the content of the disk is shown - after you scan the disk. but before you start the rip.
Drill down through the tree, and you will see the subtitle tracks checked for inclusion. Mine defaults to selecting english.

There's "forced" subtitles and ordinary subtitles. The forced ones are for sections of your movie that might have a brief period of foreign language in them, but otherwise the audio is in a single language. I would leave this checked. The normal subtitles could be un-checked if you want.

IIRC MKV format has a flag on the subtitles as to whether they are on by default or not. I wonder if this is turned on in MakeMKV output?
zich6

Post by zich6 »

Ah, I didn't know you could "drill down" into each title in the tree. In fact, I didn't know there was a tree. I thgought it was just a list.

I loaded the "Gladiator" dvd and it does show that english subtitles are checked. Now I'll know to uncheck the normal subtitles for english language films, but leave the forced.

Thanks.