Previous Versions / Can't Find Any Usable Optical Drives

Everything related to MakeMKV
BrownChcknBrownCow

Previous Versions / Can't Find Any Usable Optical Drives

Post by BrownChcknBrownCow »

Is it possible to download a previous version of MakeMKV?

Yesterday I installed v1.16.7 win(x64-release). I cannot recall if my previous version was 1.16.5 or 1.16.4. When I installed v1.16.7, I already had a Blu-Ray in the drive that MakeMKV recognized. As soon as I installed v1.16.7 I got this error:

MakeMKV v1.16.7 win(x64-release) started
The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Now I'm unable to read a disc. I'm wondering if I can go back to an earlier version. Searching the forum did not lead me to anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Woodstock

Re: Previous Versions / Can't Find Any Usable Optical Drives

Post by Woodstock »

https://makemkv.com/download/old/

Depending on your windows version, you probably have to enable the (newly installed) program to access removable storage. It's common that up-to-date Win10 and Win11 installations will default to blocking access to many parts of your system unless the programs have been authenticated by Microsoft (or manually by you).

With each new version of a program, the authorization must be re-issued. Google "ransomware exception" to find out how to do it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BrownChcknBrownCow

Post by BrownChcknBrownCow »

Hey Woodstock - that was it! Thanks for your help.

I'm on Windows 10 21H1 build 19043.1526, and keep pretty up to date.

For future reference and anyone facing similar issues I adjusted the Ransomware Protection settings on this path:

Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Manage Ransomware Protection > Allow an App Through Controlled Access Folder

Thanks again!
programx

Post by programx »

Hi,

This has happened to me, too.

Windows 11 21H2, Windows did an update and MakeMKV stopped working, saying "The program cannot find any usable optical drives". I have tried going through Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Manage Ransomware Protection > Allow an App Through Controlled Access Folder to no effect (I don't have Controlled Access turned on anyway, but turning it on and adding exceptions for all .exes didn't work).

Any help would be appreciated. I love MakeMKV and its role in provisoning Plex for the family. I also have a box set arriving soon and no DVD Player to play it on!

Thanks

Nathan
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

I have a similar issue I think. I'm running Windows 11 - fresh install. I have no optical drives.

I've tried Image (i've tried disabling it as well) https://imgur.com/a/6IIcQFV

I do not have any optical drives on this system but I used windows 10 on this system without issue.

I've tried the new version and just uninstalled and tried the previous version

Debug log started at Sun Jul 17 00:38:25 2022 , written by MakeMKV v1.17.0 win(x64-release)
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.17.0 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as file://C:\Users\user/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using 262272KB for read cache.
Network access is ENABLED, CURL version 7.72.0/Schannel/1.41.0 (x86_64-pc-win32) , proxy server not set.
WinCdArb=v1.2.0_tiny win(x64-release)
005075:0000 The new version 1.17.1 is available for download at http://www.makemkv.com/download/
005042:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.

In the past I would open the BDMV index file and it would let me select the right item to make the mkv file.

EDIT
My bad - I'm an idiot - the one disc I needed to convert after moving to Win 11 happened to be one makemkv couldn't open - I grabbed another and it worked fine - sorry for the mistake on my part.