Track listing is different between backup and opening the disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
MaxJones

Track listing is different between backup and opening the disc

Post by MaxJones »

Hello,
I'm curious about a specific aspect of MakeMKV regarding working from a blu-ray backup versus opening the disc and working with individual tracks.

I am working with an anime disc that contains several episodes.

Scenario 1
Open disc in MKV.
Select first track (t00) and extract it.
Playback shows this is episode 1.

Scenario 2
Create backup of disc using MKV.
Open backup in MKV.
Select first track (t00) and extract it.
Playback shows this is episode 2.

Ultimately, all of the episodes are on the disc. Using the backup method, the first episode ended up being track 7 (t06). Since I'm using MKV in both scenarios, I thought the track listing would be the same, but it's not. I have not changed any parameters between these two scenarios, such as minimum title length.

Asking out of curiosity, does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks!

Opening the disc and working with individual tracks method, t00 uses 00009.mpls

Code: Select all

Title information
Name: FMP Invisible Victory D1
Source file name: 00009.mpls
Duration: 0:24:12
Chapters count: 5
Size: 6.7 GB
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 14
File name: FMP Invisible Victory D1_t00.mkv
Working with the backup method, t00 uses 00010.mpls

Title information
Source file name: 00010.mpls
Duration: 0:24:11
Chapters count: 6
Size: 6.5 GB
Segment map: 15
File name: FMP Invisible Victory D1_t00.mkv
Using the backup method, episode 1 (00009.mpls) ended up being track t06.

Title information
Source file name: 00009.mpls
Duration: 0:24:12
Chapters count: 5
Size: 6.7 GB
Segment map: 14
File name: FMP Invisible Victory D1_t06.mkv
Radiocomms237

Re: Track listing is different between backup and opening the disc

Post by Radiocomms237 »

MakeMKV has done this for as long as I've been using it (many years now), and I have no idea why it does, but it's damn confusing for beginners!

The title numbers (t00, t01, etc.) are assigned by MakeMKV, they are not on the disc itself.

I *think* that MakeMKV tries to prioritize certain files, like listing the main feature first, but it only seems to do this when working direct-from-disc for some reason. This is one more reason I prefer working from a backup as it then seems to (mostly) list the titles in order of file name, although it does still manage to mess with the occasional file.

I have a note in my 'notes' template for each disc reminding me whether the file order is taken from a backup or direct-from-disc (I almost always work from backup these days anyway).

You are probably better off ignoring the title numbers altogether and referencing everything by the file name instead (00001.mpls, 01022.m2ts, etc.), just to avoid any confusion.
MaxJones

Post by MaxJones »

@Radiocomms237

Thank you for your insight! I started doing the same regarding keeping notes of the track order, and yes, probably a better idea to reference the file name instead.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

i believe the reasoning is due to the order of the files in the directory. When reading a disc directly, you get the files ordered as they are on the UDF file system that is the bluray. When you work from a backup, you are getting the files in whatever order your system's filesystem provides them you.

i.e. the readdir() operating system command.
MaxJones

Post by MaxJones »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:26 pm
i believe the reasoning is due to the order of the files in the directory. When reading a disc directly, you get the files ordered as they are on the UDF file system that is the bluray. When you work from a backup, you are getting the files in whatever order your system's filesystem provides them you.

i.e. the readdir() operating system command.
That would make a lot of sense... I was thinking to myself, "there's no reason to write two different sets of code for how to display the tracks."
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:26 pm
i believe the reasoning is due to the order of the files in the directory. ~
Thanks, I wasn't aware the file order on the disc itself was messed-up.

For the most part that theory rings true, but there are still times when the order in MakeMKV doesn't exactly follow the file order from the backup folder.

I can't put my hands on an example to screen-shot right now but next time I see it happen I'll try to remember to grab one.