Photo ID needed for purchase?!

Everything related to MakeMKV
FrugalBrutal

Photo ID needed for purchase?!

Post by FrugalBrutal »

Hello. Has anyone else tried to purchase MakeMKV and get an email asking to provide a photo ID before order processing? I clicked on Help > Purchase in the menu of the MakeMKV software so pretty confident I was at official storefront at time of attempted purchase. Trying to be supportive but this requirement is ridiculous and I will not be complying.
dcoke22

Re: Photo ID needed for purchase?!

Post by dcoke22 »

I didn't have to do that when I purchased MakeMKV, but that's been a few years and probably one or two payment processors ago.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

i think it only does this when it thinks your sus but yeah that is more sus when it does that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

What is the point of sending in photo ID when the person you're sending it to can't see you to confirm it's yours? :roll:

It's been a couple of years since I purchased my licence but I certainly never had that request, and would never have purchased if I did!

I assume this is because you're trying to use a credit card directly through the website? Is there a PayPal option instead?
Monkleheim

Post by Monkleheim »

Yes. I just tried to purchase the version of Linux.

First, I tried Discover. The PayProGlobal.com people (at the toll-free number on their purchase page) said they saw four different attempts declined by "the bank" before I called them, after being advised of the declined status and calling Discover.com's toll-free number to have a 'bot tell me it saw no declines. PPG suggested trying a different method.

I picked PayPal, and the transaction went threw, and I got an email from PPG saying it was being reviewed. I assumed it would shortly go on to makemkv to get a registration number.

Instead, I got a second email from PPG requesting a "photo ID". I responded in the negative, stipulating that if it truly was a requirement, to cancel the transaction.

Next communication from PPG informed me the order had been canceled.

Seems to me like that's leaving money on the table, but I think privacy is bad enough without having picture IDs of myself floating around the ether.
Overbook2680

Post by Overbook2680 »

I also just ran into this issue. I provided fake personal details, an email alias, and a virtual credit card during checkout, which I usually do. Not a fan of sending a photo ID and picture of the physical credit card to some random company.

If MakeMKV staff are on the forums, can you consider another transaction company? I find the app very useful and want to pay for it. I just don't want to compromise my privacy to that degree.
PayPro Global

Post by PayPro Global »

Hi there,

PayPro Global representative here. We understand your concerns regarding the occasional requirement for photo ID verification during the purchase process. Let me explain why this may sometimes be necessary and how you can proceed smoothly.

Our priority at PayPro Global is ensuring a safe and secure payment environment for everyone. In certain cases, where there may be potential red flags about the legitimacy of a transaction, we take the extra step of asking for identity verification. This helps to protect both our merchants and the customers.

We understand that providing a photo ID can be intrusive. We work diligently to safeguard all personal information entrusted to us.

If you've encountered this verification request and have hesitations, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at support@payproglobal.com or call +1-647-977-7769. We're committed to finding the best solution that protects your privacy and allows you to complete your purchase. Customer experience is very important to us - we'll take your feedback to evaluate and improve our processes.

Thank you for your understanding and for being part of the MakeMKV community.

Sincerely,
The PayPro Global Team
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

@PayPro Global

Asking for photo ID over the internet is ridiculous on so many levels. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, how can you verify that the photo ID belongs to the person making the transaction when you can't see them?

And if someone has had their wallet stolen, don't you think the thief might well have access to the victim's photo ID as well?

Personally, I would NEVER send my photo ID out across the internet, let alone to a complete stranger, and anyone who does is just asking to be a victim of identity theft, potentially far worse than any credit card fraud.

I'm thankful that I purchased my licence for this software many years ago before this stupidity, because I certainly would NOT be complying with your demand if I had to do it again.

And to the author of the software: I'd think that you must be losing-out on quite a number of subscriptions because of this requirement and I'd suggest that you consider going with a more respectable payment provider, such as PayPal, who have NEVER felt the need to ask me for photo ID.