My drive is struggling to recognize some UHD disks

Everything related to MakeMKV
ttnicky

My drive is struggling to recognize some UHD disks

Post by ttnicky »

I got several UHDs for Christmas and have been working my way through ripping them. It started out fine, no issues with several. Then I got to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The theatrical versions were pretty uneventful, but I'm having a really hard time ripping the extended versions. For some reason, my drive fails to recognize them as disks. I will occasionally get it to recognize one, but that is after countless reloads, even some reboots. I thought maybe my drive (Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10) was biting the dust, but then I moved on to other disks and it is recognizing and reading them fine. It just really does not like LOTR extended editions. I saw in the changelog for MakeMKV v. 1.17.4 that there was a fixed bug related to disks with only 4k content failing to load. Is it possible an issue persists in 1.17.5? Any other ideas why these disks in particular would be affected?
SamuriHL

Re: My drive is struggling to recognize some UHD disks

Post by SamuriHL »

Because they're big. And Asus/ LG drives don't like triple layer discs. You can try cleaning them. Yes even if they "look clean" or "came right out of the package." Use a microfiber cloth. The reality is they are difficult discs to read because they are so big. We all had issues with them back when they came out because we didn't have pioneer drives at the time. I just replaced two towers 2 weeks ago and had zero problem reading them in my pioneer drives. Your mileage may vary but with that Asus drive it may simply not work.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

ttnicky

Post by ttnicky »

That makes sense, and is unfortunate. Is it still true that we can't flash new pioneer drives, can only purchase older firmware versions from a few resellers on the forum?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

ttnicky wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:49 am
That makes sense, and is unfortunate. Is it still true that we can't flash new pioneer drives, can only purchase older firmware versions from a few resellers on the forum?
What's your country of residence?
ttnicky

Post by ttnicky »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 am
What's your country of residence?
USA
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

See PM.
EnSkywalker

Post by EnSkywalker »

In a similar situation.

Drive won’t even recognize The Fugitive 4k and The Suicide Squad 4k as discs but I successfully ripped Trading Places 4K and Battlestar Galactica 4K this weekend.

I checked Fugutive in the Xbox one x and it plays. Didn’t think about that with the Suicide before it went back to Amazon thinking the disc is bad.
ttnicky

Post by ttnicky »

I have decided that drive is dead. Had it for a good few years and ripped loads of BD and even many UHD. It was a good drive. But I'm fairly certain it is dead now. I got it to rip a few more disks after my initial post, but now it won't recognize any disk. RIP first UHD friendly drive.