Ripping everything on disk

Everything related to MakeMKV
Taqyon

Ripping everything on disk

Post by Taqyon »

I love MakeMKV and have ripped over 120 of my physical disks to mkv files and haven't used a physical disk in more than a year. But this weekend I loaded a title in my 4K player and I'm welcomed by the intro and the vast amount of extras available on the media.

I know I can do each file but it's a very tedious process to identify and label each video clip.

Is there a (practical) way to retain all this media in a ripped format? Perhaps to an ISO?
dcoke22

Re: Ripping everything on disk

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV has a backup function that copies everything on the disc (in decrypted form, if you check the box) to a folder on your computer.

You can use that backup folder and something like imgburn to make an ISO if that's your thing.

Or, MakeMKV can open that backup and you can create .mkv files from that. In that case, .mkv creation goes as fast as your storage allows, making it easier to make files for both the movie and all the extras. Plex (and undoubtedly others) has support for these 'local extras' being available to watch in their interface. Often a blu-ray review on blu-ray.com or an entry for the disc in dvdcompare.net or an entry for the disc in TheDiscDB.com will help you know what extras are on a disc.
Taqyon

Post by Taqyon »

Thank you. My concern was the trouble of properly renaming the 100s of extras mkv files on say LOTR so I can see what they are when I play the video on my Zidoo. Capturing the ISO whole, including the menu system, will make it easy to navigate.

But I'll check out the plex option. Thanks again.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Plex isn't going to replicate the menu system you have on the disc. You have to identify and set it up all manually, which can be very tedious. Your only option there would be to use the backup option, then find a player that will play either the BDMV folder or the ISO (create from the backup using something like ImgBurn). I haven't been able to find any apps that works on either Android TV (or its variants) or Apple TV (except maybe Kodi?), but there are some hardware discs players out there that can do it (can't remember the make or models).