Validation for DVD Rip?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Dlk25

Validation for DVD Rip?

Post by Dlk25 »

Hi,

I know this isn't really a main feature of Makemkv but if I do a backup of a DVD makemkv will now give me a nice ISO file which is really helpful.

My question is what are people's best practices for ensuring a good DVD rip? I know for blu ray makemkv checks the content hashes so you are sure you got a bit perfect rip but I dont believe there is anything equivalent for DVD.

Are people just doing multiple rips and then hashing them to be sure?

I am using pioneer drives so I dont think they fail and return garbage silently but would be good to know my backups are bit perfect. Any suggestions on what others do would be appreciated as I can't check every DVD backup by watching it all the way through at the time of backup.

Thanks

Dan
Woodstock

Re: Validation for DVD Rip?

Post by Woodstock »

If MakeMKV says it ripped a DVD, I assume it's correct. If MakeMKV says it failed, I then check to see why it failed.

Of course, I don't "rip to ISO", because it seems silly to me to keep all the extra garbage the studio thinks I really-really want, when I bought the disk to get the movie (which is what I really-really wanted). I sometimes watch the other stuff that was ripped, but... How many times do I need to see actor X talk about their motivation in playing character Z?

(incidentally, MakeMKV includes a timestamp of the rip when it rips stuff, so the hash of two copies of the same disk will be different.)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging