Cost to buy physical DVD/BD is skyrocketing?

Everything related to MakeMKV
RobAinscough

Cost to buy physical DVD/BD is skyrocketing?

Post by RobAinscough »

BestBuy no longer sell DVD/BD and any search I run for a DVD/BD is ridiculously expensive now. Amazon do everything in their power to prevent the sale of DVDs/BDs ... 3 Seasons of the "Toast of London" (Matt Berry) is $155-250 used?!

DVDs there were available a few weeks ago are now no longer available and will never return to be available. Blakes 7 ... can only get that from Netherlands for $234.99 for all the seasons (4).

People seem to be buying them up and selling them on eBay.

Was there some sort of "event" that all BD/DVD are no longer going to be produced ever again and stock will just dry up?

What the heck is happening?

Last thing I want is to be tied to a Streaming service where I "buy" a series and don't really own it and I also still get my purchased content littered with advertisements ... and if I stop my subscription to NetFlix/Prime I lose access to the content I've purchased. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. need to be regulated and stop them from the "control" of movie/show distribution.

Rob
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Billycar11

Re: Cost to buy physical DVD/BD is skyrocketing?

Post by Billycar11 »

its probably just currently out of print likely they will spin up a new batch eventually and the few that are left they jack the prices way up its not really amazon its the 3rd party sellers. maybe when new season is out or something like that they will do another print of the others.

disc stock is just like that for less common or older shows they wait till they are out then print a new batch its usually months sometimes years before they are out again.

no event really happened just have to catch them on release or restocks initial release is best for the most stock.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Lately I've noticed that the releasing companies are only doing very limited runs of new titles ("only 1000 copies", or "only 1500 available"), which is pretty pathetic in a global market. And as above, re-sellers are buying-out the available supplies and then 'naming their price' on items which are now no longer available elsewhere.

There's not really very much you can do about it except keep an eye on the distributors' websites for new releases and buy direct.

They're really pushing the envelope with the whole "pre-order" thing lately too. Some things I'm paying for now (May) and don't expect to receive until July or August. Basically, they want everything bought and paid for before they even manufacture it! :x
joserz

Post by joserz »

Looking at my old purchases back when amazon had good deals and comparing them to todays prices is a head shaker. But physical media is becoming a niche market and retailers will start to pricing accordingly. My co-workers that use to buy the bargain DVDs at Wal-Mart have moved on to streaming, many talk about dvds/blurays like they are something from the far distant past. I think most physical media is going to become like records. There will be a market, but they will be at a premium price and a lot of "limited to X amount pre-order now" like mentioned earlier. This is going to become an expensive hobby.