The trial/key mechanism for MakeMKV is confusing

Everything related to MakeMKV
thecapsaicinkid

The trial/key mechanism for MakeMKV is confusing

Post by thecapsaicinkid »

On starting the software (that was working previously ) it prompts me that the evaluation period has expired and I should purchase a key and that free features will still be available. Paste in the current beta key which is valid until the end of May, restart, same message. What it really wanted me to do was update the software to v1.6.6, this isn't very clear. Free features weren't available until I had updated.

Great software but this really confusing.
MilesAhead

Re: The trial/key mechanism for MakeMKV is confusing

Post by MilesAhead »

If you look at it from the author's point of view, the beta keys have a short time span and are matched to the current beta so that everyone in the beta program is using the beta with the latest fixes. Not using old "broken" software.

If you want to back off to an older version you can do so if you have a license key from purchasing the software. As example, I backed off to 1.6.3 for a time while the "disk speed issue" was shaking out. The license key from purchase is good for any version.
thecapsaicinkid

Post by thecapsaicinkid »

That's what I'd gathered was happening, my point was more that this isn't apparent from the message shown. My only hint that I needed to upgrade was the 'v1.6.x version now available to download' link in the output area.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

thecapsaicinkid wrote:That's what I'd gathered was happening, my point was more that this isn't apparent from the message shown. My only hint that I needed to upgrade was the 'v1.6.x version now available to download' link in the output area.
I can understand how things can be ambiguous. But my memory fades since I purchased MakeMKV over a year ago. I used to look in the announcements in the forum or look on videohelp.com for a new version notice. Now I just start MakeMKV and it spits out a line in the log if there's a new release.

Also it's reassuring if I update. I make a restore point just to be on the safe side. If I don't like the latest release I just install what I was using until then. Plus you tend to avoid glitches as the license just says "never expires." I don't buy software unless I think I'm going to use it regularly for a long period of time. I don't regret this purchase. It's a nice program.