Feature Request: M2TS/TS to MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Elijah

Feature Request: M2TS/TS to MKV

Post by Elijah »

I don't want to be rude, requesting a feature with my first post, but as I am somewhat troubled by the lack of this particular feature in an otherwise versatile software, I wonder if the lack of a ??? to MKV remuxer follows a specific logic?
As I understand, MakeMKV relies on infos derived from .ifo, .bdmv, .inf etc. for accurate stream infos, but couldn't it just as well be "persuaded" to open m2ts or ts (or even vob) files, without specific infos, which stream has which language code?
To be more specific, the Hauppauge HDPVR using the program HDPVRCapture records m2ts/ts files which, due to the process, contain only one video data stream and one audio stream (Ac3 or aac). To remux them into MKV I need to TSmux' them into RAWs and MKVToolnix' them as MKV, whereas your program might be able to do the whole process in one go.
As of this day, I am not aware of any mac software able to do this one-step-remuxing, mkvmerge won't open M2TS/TS and tsmuxer doesn't save MKV, but as your software already crosses the border on both fronts, maybe you could be persuaded to include such a feature in future releases?

But even if not, thanks very much for this great app.

Greetings from Germany
mike admin

Re: Feature Request: M2TS/TS to MKV

Post by mike admin »

This is something that was always considered, but the fear is that this feature will bring more confusion than value.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

mike admin wrote:the fear is that this feature will bring more confusion than value.
For what it's worth I agree. Stick to the core function of MakeMKV and make it as rock solid and possible.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

Elijah wrote:I am not aware of any mac software able to do this one-step-remuxing, mkvmerge won't open M2TS/TS
Haali's GDSMux will do it. It's included when you install the splitter.
captain

Post by captain »

I'm confused: I'm not sure what the confusion would be. ;-P

This sounds like a similar request that I have put in before. discs encoded with the VC1 audio format end up being silent movies, and unconvertable by HandBrake. While I do appreciate the ability to manually massage my data to my heart's content, I typically just want to get the data off of the disc and into a format that my players can use WITH AS LITTLE PERSONAL INTERACTION AS POSSIBLE. Being able to stick in a disc, click GO, and come back some time later to find a perfectly playable file for PS3 (full HDTV resolution with DTS audio) and a file for AppleTV (bastardized 720p with AAC audio, whatever...) would be ideal!

Yeah, yeah, I hear people saying, "If you have a PS3 why don't you just put the disc in IT, you idiot!?" Well, after FOUR PS3s blu-ray drives crapped out on me I try to use the PS3's disc drive as little as possible. Not to mention, I like having my library online and on the media server because I am too lazy to go dig out the physical disc and/or too anal to risk scratching up the backup media. Ok?