Ripping Music/Concert DVDs

Everything related to MakeMKV
jivauk

Ripping Music/Concert DVDs

Post by jivauk »

New to MakeMKV - have successfully ripped movie files, no problem... great!

I also have music/concert DVDs that I want to rip, but I'd like to keep the DVD navigation menu so that I can select specific songs from the performance... but I can't find anything in the GUI or help that shows me how.

Is there any way to achieve this using MakeMKV (or any other MKV software)?

According to the matroska.org site it seems as though this should be possible, or am I mis-understanding the last entry? See quoted text below.

[Quote]
Matroska is designed with the future in mind. It incorporates features you would expect from a modern container format, like:

Fast seeking in the file
Chapter entries
Full metadata (tags) support
Selectable subtitle/audio/video streams
Modularly expandable
Error resilience (can recover playback even when the stream is damaged)
Streamable over the internet and local networks (HTTP, CIFS, FTP, etc)
Menus (like DVDs have) (my emphasis)

[End Quote]

Thanks in advance.
setarip_old

Re: Ripping Music/Concert DVDs

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As far as I know, Matroska (via .MKV) does not presently support menus...

robpdotcom

Re: Ripping Music/Concert DVDs

Post by robpdotcom »

At least, no one has developed a way to implement menus. And if there was a way to create a menu, no player could currently use them. I do believe we'll see it sooner or later, it's just going to require a developer who's interested.

The best option as of now would be to combine all the songs into one file (use MKVMerge to append them), and use chapters to navigate to them. I do this with all my CD rips, and concert DVDs/Blurays. If they're already in one file, then the chapters should be there - extract them with MKVExtract, then use MKVMerge to give them names and mux them back into the file.