When will the beta end?

Everything related to MakeMKV
goingbust

When will the beta end?

Post by goingbust »

This software has been working for me perfectly the the last 6 months or so. It has not had problems with BDs except one new one, and that was taken care of. Mike, you should start selling it. This is excellent quality software.
skittle

Re: When will the beta end?

Post by skittle »

He is already selling it (and has been for a long time) :)
http://makemkv.com/buy/
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Bought my copy Feb. 2010.

moltikon

Post by moltikon »

I just bought a license. I know I can continue using the beta keys but Mike has to see return for his efforts AND he is supporting Linux so I felt I have to support him back.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Good man!
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
goingbust

Post by goingbust »

skittle wrote:He is already selling it (and has been for a long time) :)
http://makemkv.com/buy/
Yeah, I know that. I bought a copy about 6 months ago too. I should have phrased that as "you should end the beta". This doesn't feel like beta software when it has been working perfectly on every blu ray disk I have tried it with.
gmd024

Post by gmd024 »

I purchased a license for mMKV last August/2010 - I also thought the software was better than beta quality at that time and figured my $50 might help Mike keep this great App. improved and updated for a long time to come - hopefully many others will do the same, even before the 1st non-beta version is released

I recommend MakeMKV without hesitation along with using MKVs for pretty much trouble free network streaming of all content including HD/BD rips
dpstjp

Post by dpstjp »

goingbust wrote:Yeah, I know that. I bought a copy about 6 months ago too. I should have phrased that as "you should end the beta". This doesn't feel like beta software when it has been working perfectly on every blu ray disk I have tried it with.
I've bought, because I want to support continuing development of the software. However I still do not see this as a finished product.

The inability to remove pulldown flags for HDDVD meant that I used ClownBD for all of those to get 23.976Hz rips.

The PCM issue means I can't use MakeMKV for those Blu-Rays that have these soundtracks

I still get certain DVDs (eg Fullmetal Alchemist Season 2) where each disc appears to have just 1 episode, but many chapters. I had to use DVD decrypter to hand strip out the actual episodes from those.

Knowing about the limitations however, I still do not hesitate to recommend MakeMKV as the best programme out there to start ripping MKVs with.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

dpstjp wrote:I still get certain DVDs (eg Fullmetal Alchemist Season 2) where each disc appears to have just 1 episode, but many chapters. I had to use DVD decrypter to hand strip out the actual episodes from those.
I've seen this before (on some Babylon5 DVDs) and I nearly reported it as a bug then, but looking around on the internet it appears to be that some DVDs are authored in the most obscure (amateurish, IMO) way possible. Sure, they play fine in a DVD player but once you look at the structure it is obviously a mess.

I used MakeMKV to rip all the titles, and a combination of VOBblanker (to get the exact timecodes for the chapter marks) and mkvmerge to split the one MKV into many smaller ones.

What would be nice, and save some effort on the users part, in this situation if is MakeMKV could prompt that it had "Found N chapters in titleN" and ask you if you at what chapter markers/timecodes you wanted to split the title... if indeed you did want to split the title.

I realise that may be a little outside the scope of MakeMKV at present, but would be a useful feature when dealing with these badly authored DVDs.

EDIT: Of course, a user defined variable for the number of chapters, much like the 'minimum title length', you could have 'maximum number of chapters' before asking the user if, and how, he wants to split the title up.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE