is mkv a good format for SD DVD or only Blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
encode4life

is mkv a good format for SD DVD or only Blu-ray

Post by encode4life »

i never see people upload content that is mkv with 720x576 PAL DVD. is it only supposed to be used with hd and Blue-ray?
setarip_old

Re: is mkv a good format for SD DVD or only Blu-ray

Post by setarip_old »

We have a sub-forum here exclusively for discussion of SD DVD to .MKV creation...

skittle

Post by skittle »

mkv is a good (the best) container for any codec. People in the 'scene' generally don't upload dvds in mkv simply because of tradition and stubbornness.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

MKV is the best container out there with support for just about anything.

SC
tony55

Post by tony55 »

Smithcraft wrote:MKV is the best container out there with support for just about anything.

SC
I don't think that's true at all.
For SD DVD if you want a single file ISO is the way to go or they can be left in the VideoTs format. Aside from the fact that there is many times more software for manipulating the standard DVD formats than there are for MKV a post further up the forum page explains the biggest disadvantage of MKV over DVD. MKV has no menu support.

I use MKV for all my HD stuff. For HD it is indeed the best container. For SD I find I still like my ISOs with menu support best.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

tony55 wrote:
For SD DVD if you want a single file ISO is the way to go or they can be left in the VideoTs format. Aside from the fact that there is many times more software for manipulating the standard DVD formats than there are for MKV a post further up the forum page explains the biggest disadvantage of MKV over DVD. MKV has no menu support.

I use MKV for all my HD stuff. For HD it is indeed the best container. For SD I find I still like my ISOs with menu support best.
I disagree.

By today's standard, mpeg2 is very inefficient.
H.264 files offer [in my experience] a two thirds reduction in file size for no perceptible loss in video quality.

DVD menus? Why would I, or anyone, want to preserve them?
The best menus I've ever seen on a DVD are those of an ebay special hong kong import - static textual menus with no animation. They didn't get in the way and prevent/delay me getting to the actual content of the DVD like so many in my collection.

Matroska is the best container we've ever known.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I also disagree. Why would I want to deal with the stupid menus and obnoxious ads that you have to put up with on DVDs? Why would it make a difference whether one was watching a menu from a DVD or an HD source?

Also, I wouldn't say that VIDEO_TS is a container or a format. It's a folder that has files in it. Some of those files are information files, some of those files are video files. Lots of junk to clutter a file system with in my opinion.

An ISO is a disc image and not a media codec container.

SD or HD - Matroska is better than mp3, mpg, mp4(or m4v), avi, vob, mov, or any thing available. No other container is as flexible. Well, unless you want menus...

SC