Is it possible to have MakeMKV demux a BR into its streams?

Everything related to MakeMKV
tony55

Is it possible to have MakeMKV demux a BR into its streams?

Post by tony55 »

I have always liked MakeMKV especially for my BR collection, however I always find it annoying that once I'm done ripping my BR I'm left with a MKV that need further massaging to really be useful to me. First I usually change the DTS to AC3 and than I convert the PGSsup to srt because my players wont read a MKV with PGSsup subtitles. To do those things I have to demux the MKV that MakeMKV ripped to its parts with MKVExtractGUI2. Do what I need to do with the parts than re-mux it with MKVmerge. It's lots of extra work. So, I don't use it much.

Since I already have AnyDVD, it's really easier to unscramble the BR with AnyDVD and just demux the main movie with TSMuxer and be done with it.

Am I missing something or does MakeMKV have the ability to demux instead of just making a MKV.

Tony
setarip_old

Re: Is it possible to have MakeMKV demux a BR into its strea

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Since I already have AnyDVD, it's really easier to unscramble the BR with AnyDVD and just demux the main movie with TSMuxer and be done with it.

Please clarify a couple of points:

1) As opposed to "and be done with it", don't you still have to use other programs to convert the audio from DTS to AC3 and to convert the subtitles from PGS to SRT format?

2) What advantage do you perceive in using AnyDVD rather than MakeMKV to first perform a full disc rip of the Blu-ray?

tony55

Re: Is it possible to have MakeMKV demux a BR into its strea

Post by tony55 »

@setarip_old

Maybe I was unclear about the use of AnyDVD. With AnyDVD I can use TSMuxer to demux my BRs to their streams. That process takes about the same time as MakeMKV takes to rip a BR.
With the MakeMKV MKV I next have to demux the MKV into its parts. So, the use of MakeMKV requires an extra step(de-mux) and to do that step takes about as long as it takes to rip the origional BR.

So, MakeMKV takes an extra step and requires extra time to end up with streams.

When I do use MakeMKV its for BRs that already have an AC3 stream. Then I just demux the sup stream out which takes only a few minutes and convert the sup to srt and use that externally. In those cases, MakeMKV works just great.

I thought that I could use MakeMKV to demux the streams since it allows you to select the streams you want. But, if you select the Video or audio separately it doesn't do anything.

Tony