7.1 not Recognized - only 5.1

Everything related to MakeMKV
rpmccly

7.1 not Recognized - only 5.1

Post by rpmccly »

I have only been able to get 5.1 even if the bluray i s a 7.1 disc. I know its a 7.1 disc because when I play the movie in a bluray player, I get the full 7.1 audio but when I make the mkv with makemkv I never sees 7.1 Is there something I am doing wrong? I thought maybe it was only in the paid version but I've paid for it since and I still can't get it.

Its too bad because this is the ONLY flaw I have seen with makemkv!

Help!
RealityRipple

Re: 7.1 not Recognized - only 5.1

Post by RealityRipple »

In the tracks selection page, have you tried selecting DTS-HD Lossless? A few players won't play the lossless tracks, but most will... and it should be a raw copy of the highest quality off the disc, I'd expect... I've never seen any 7.1-capable discs myself, though, so there's no guarantee my suggestion will help, of course.
Reiter

Post by Reiter »

Just tested several DTS-HD MA 7.1 discs (Red Cliff 1&2, Seven, Be Kind Rewind, Dark City) and 1 Dolby TrueHD (The Nightmare Before Christmas) and they all work fine.
LPCM 7.1 doesn't work but that's because of the LPCM part.
rpmccly

Post by rpmccly »

I have tried some that are 7.1 when I'm playing them on my PS3 and the receiver shows it as 7.1 but then when I run makemkv it only sees the hd lossles or truehd or 3/2/1 etc. I never see anything about 7.1. Is it labeled wierd or when you say it works, how does it work? What does it say? The PS3 uses HDMI but when I'm using the .mkv from the computer. the audio is through optical.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

When you select HD Lossless or TrueHD, how many channels are listed over on the right?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

rpmccly wrote:the audio is through optical.
AFAIK:

1) 7.1 audio is always HD audio (LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD)

2) you can only send Dolby Digital, DTS or 2-channel LPCM over optical

-> You cannot send 7.1 audio to your receiver via optical.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... utput.html

To send 7.1 audio to your receiver, it must be connected via HDMI or via 8 analog cables (I don't think the PS3 supports the latter).
rpmccly

Post by rpmccly »

Romansh wrote:
rpmccly wrote:the audio is through optical.
AFAIK:

1) 7.1 audio is always HD audio (LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD)

2) you can only send Dolby Digital, DTS or 2-channel LPCM over optical

-> You cannot send 7.1 audio to your receiver via optical.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... utput.html

To send 7.1 audio to your receiver, it must be connected via HDMI or via 8 analog cables (I don't think the PS3 supports the latter).
REALY?? I did research before and thought you could do 7.1 with optical just not coax. I am using a computer directly connected to a TV but in order to get 7.1 from the computer I need the audio to be HDMI also? How would I do that? Are the mobo's with HDMI both video and audio? then I couldn't use a nice graphics card, so what do I do???
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

HDMI is High Definition audio and video in a single cable.
rpmccly

Post by rpmccly »

RealityRipple wrote:HDMI is High Definition audio and video in a single cable.
I'm talking about a computer though, not a Blu-ray or something of the sort so my audio and video are coming from a different place (graphics card and sound card)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

rpmccly wrote:
I'm talking about a computer though, not a Blu-ray or something of the sort so my audio and video are coming from a different place (graphics card and sound card)
It's very simple. Optical and coax can only carry lossless (dd or dts or 2 channel pcm). Analog can carry pcm up to 7.1 depending on your soundcard and requires that the decoding take place on the pc. To do truehd or dts-hd ma you must use hdmi. Most of us have a videocard that supports bjtstreaming over hdmi. The decoding in that case happens on the receiver.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

rpmccly wrote:
They wouldn't be if you're using an HDMI-capable video card. Every card that counts itself as HD-capable has a high definition sound card embedded as part of the video card to deal with the HDMI interface. You don't even need a separate sound card if you only ever use HDMI.
Boomdawg

Post by Boomdawg »

I have the opposite problem-- sort of. I am also using an optical cable for my audio, but to a 5.1 receiver. When streaming a 7.1 disc, I would like to be able to hear the audio in 5.1.
For the disc currently in my drive, in MakeMKV if I click the dropdown next to the title I can see all the audio tracks. There's 7.1 for English, 5.1 for French, 2.0 for Spanish and a couple 2.0 commentary tracks. There's also a dropdown next to the 7.1 English that has 5.1 English underneath it. Like this:

>Audio........TrueHD 7.1 English
.....Audio.....DD 3/2+1 English
Audio.........DD 3/2+1 French
Audio.........DD 2/0 Spanish
Audio.........DD 2/0 English
Audio.........DD 2/0 English

So, the 5.1 track is apparently some kind of "sub track". When I stream it and look at the tracks in VLC, only 5 tracks are available. Track 1 is the 7.1 English, Track 2 the 5.1 French, and so on. If I use the first track, my receiver treats it as 2 channel stereo. If I switch to the French track it's 5.1, however I do not speak French. :)

Short of buying a new 7.1 receiver is there any way around this? Is there a way to force MakeMKV to only stream the 5.1 track? Is there a way to make VLC recognize the "sub track"? Or, is there another Linux player that might recognize it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I can't say, but it works for me. Are you selecting the 5.1 track? Or just the 7.1?

SC
Boomdawg

Post by Boomdawg »

What's selected doesn't seem to matter for streaming. I can select all the tracks or just one or none for that matter, but they all seem to stream (except the 5.1 English).
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

If you select both the TrueHD and the interleaved Dolby Digital track, there will be two English tracks in the output. If there's only one, you're not selecting both tracks.

Though if you only want the 5.1, you don't need to select the TrueHD track, just the interleaved Dolby Digital track. What does MediaInfo say about your file?