Why isn't Lossless audio track enabled by default?

Everything related to MakeMKV
thinksinc

Why isn't Lossless audio track enabled by default?

Post by thinksinc »

New to MakeMKV, forgive the noob question/observation:

I ripped about 30 of my Blu-ray discs before I noticed the disclosure arrow under the Main Title (I know: RTFM). I noticed that, strangely, the Lossless audio track is NEVER checked, but the child/core audio track beneath it is always checked.

I confirmed via both Plex and MediaInfo that the rips I had made did not actually contain the Lossless audio track. So, now I've got to re-rip the discs (this time selecting ONLY the Lossless audio track, as I'll only be playing back through TrueHD/DTS-MA-capable receivers.)

My question is, given that MakeMKV was created expressly for creating high quality rips of discs, why would the Lossless audio track not only be unchecked by default, but hidden under a disclosure arrow?

I didn't see a Preference anywhere for choosing a default Audio track to rip, or a way to set up a preferred Profile as a default for ripping.

And, of course, I could be doing something wrong. But I'm a little frustrated at losing about 15 hours worth of time ripping discs to go back and re-do them with Lossless checked.
reebok

Re: Why isn't Lossless audio track enabled by default?

Post by reebok »

it would be nice to have a default option (similar to the language selection which checks the proper subtitle files by default instead of all of them) but I can tell you I was also annoyed when I ripped lossless to try it out and found my equipment doesn't support it. My guess is the vast majority of people have equipment that doesn't support lossless, so enabling it by default would be counterproductive. just my .02.
SamuriHL

Re: Why isn't Lossless audio track enabled by default?

Post by SamuriHL »

It wouldn't hurt to have an option to set to allow it though. Its been requested before. So far no luck.