External Blu Ray Drive for Mac OS X

Everything related to MakeMKV
cologne

External Blu Ray Drive for Mac OS X

Post by cologne »

hello people!

my plan: rip my blu rays to .mkv -> first I need an external player for
my macbbok pro, but which one I should take, which one you have?

for any further informations you would help me so much!

many thanks in advance! mark :wink:
Macbook Pro i7 Quad 2,3 Ghz | Mac OSX 10.6.8
dpstjp

Re: External Blu Ray Drive for Mac OS X

Post by dpstjp »

I use a Buffalo BD drive, though I'm sure any will do.
cologne

Post by cologne »

@ dpstjp: thanks for reply, I checked the Buffalo (BR-X816U2-EU Blu-ray Drive USB2.0 extern)
8x speed ...
BUT:
Do you use the Buffalo with a mac? Thats the important point of my topic. Also I read nothing
about using with a mac in the system requirements: ... only windows.

The others? Which external blu ray drive you use with A MAC ?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Drives are drives. They take an input and feed it to your computer.

I reccomend the Plextor PX-B310U. I've suggested it to other Mac users and none of them have come back saying it doesn't work. I use it with Linux and Windows 7.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
cologne

Post by cologne »

@ crowfax:

Fantatsic. Okay, If I understand correct: There is no OS support required. The system
and exactly the software (MakeMKV) is able to work, beacause Plextor or Buffalo only
write about XP, Vista -> OS: Windows. Not Mac. That?s the point. (Drives are drives.)

I hestitate about buying ... ;-/
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Last time I checked (and it was a while ago), if you want you box to say your hardware supports Apple you had to send it off to them for testing, which they charge for. Then pay them even more money if you want to put a label on the box saying it works on a Mac. Very few hardware manufacturers are going to bother with this. One exception is LaCie who sell the same hard drive in 2 different boxes, one of them says it works on the Mac and costs $20 more than the other does. The contents of the box are the same.

If you're that worried then buy it from somewhere with a good returns policy.
Last edited by crowfax on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
cologne

Post by cologne »

All right then! I think I will buy a nice plextor ... but it would be nice to read sth. like that: Yes, I have a mac and I use the extern player XY and it works perfectly 1. with the mac os ans 2. with MakeMKV ... you know ;-)

Okay, I try a plextor player first, ... ;-)
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

I took this advice and went for a LG BH10LS30 drive, installed the riplock-free firmware and now it performs perfectly.
Inssomniak

Post by Inssomniak »

priitv8 wrote:I took this advice and went for a LG BH10LS30 drive, installed the riplock-free firmware and now it performs perfectly.

Can I have your riplock-free firmware? And how did you install the firmware with your mac?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Inssomniak wrote:
priitv8 wrote:I took this advice and went for a LG BH10LS30 drive, installed the riplock-free firmware and now it performs perfectly.

Can I have your riplock-free firmware? And how did you install the firmware with your mac?
Download the firmware update from LG and patch with http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/ . You will need a winows box or windows in virtual machine.