Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
epbbkb

Re: Subtitles

Post by epbbkb »

Romansh wrote:MakeMKV has a WD TV conversion profile.
Hi Romansh,

Wow, I never knew about the profile feature, and from the release notes, looks like it was introduced in v1.7.8. I did some searches on the Forum, and see several that reference the WDTV profile. In fact, the post at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6352 even has a post from Mike stating that you don't even need to re-backup the BR, that you can just open the mkv and save it with the WDTV profile, however, I can't seem to figure out how to use the profile. According to the post at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448148/makem ... for-wd-smp, I am supposed to be able to set profiles in the advanced tab in preferences, but when I click on preferences, I don't have an advanced tab... Again, I'm running v1.8, so not sure what to do. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
epbbkb

Post by epbbkb »

Romansh wrote:MakeMKV has a WD TV conversion profile.
Hi Romansh,

Just posted a separate reply, but it's waiting for approval by a moderator since I linked another forum post (Moderators, you can actually delete it). I never knew about profiles, because until today, I never checked the box under the General tab in preferences to run MakeMKV in "Expert Mode" (Not to mention, I never bothered to read the release notes for v1.7.8 where Mike mentioned he added a WDTV profile... Chalk this up to an ID-10-T error). Checking the "Expert Mode" box apparently makes the "Advanced" tab appear, which is where you can select the WDTV profile.

So, now that I have confirmation that MakeMKV is officially the sickest application on the planet, here's the toughest question yet. Do you know the command line MakeMKV command that will allow me to remux a BR backup mkv file in Linux? All of my BR backups are on my media server running ClearOS. Rather than sitting here on my windows PC and remuxing each BR mkv one by one, I'd rather setup a for loop, execute the command to remux the file, delete the old file, and move on to the next one, so it can run over the next couple days and remux all of my mkv backups for me. Thanks again for your help!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

No. You could try /developers/usage.txt

But as far as batch converting existing MKV files, mkvmerge is just as convenient, IMO:

Code: Select all

mkvmerge -o <output_file> <input_file>

mkvmerge --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position -o <output_file> <input_file>
…the latter will make its output compatible with VLC 2.0.5 or earlier.
epbbkb

Post by epbbkb »

Romansh wrote:No. You could try /developers/usage.txt

But as far as batch converting existing MKV files, mkvmerge is just as convenient, IMO:

mkvmerge --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position -o <output_file> <input_file>
Awesome. Honestly, I think I might actually go with mkvmerge anyway, since after remuxing Lincoln with MakeMKV, it actually INCREASED the file size by 1.5G! This is mind boggling, since technically speaking, the only thing it should be doing using the WDTV profile, is compressing the PGS subtitles, so I'm a bit baffled as to how the size increased that much...
epbbkb

Post by epbbkb »

epbbkb wrote:
Romansh wrote:No. You could try /developers/usage.txt

Awesome. Honestly, I think I might actually go with mkvmerge anyway, since after remuxing Lincoln with MakeMKV, it actually INCREASED the file size by 1.5G! This is mind boggling, since technically speaking, the only thing it should be doing using the WDTV profile, is compressing the PGS subtitles, so I'm a bit baffled as to how the size increased that much...
Looks like I'm screwed... I'm running CentOS 6.4, and per the bunkus website, MKVToolNix is no longer supported for CentOS 6 or RedHat 6 due to the gcc level that ships with the releases...
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

You can always try installing or building an older version. IIRC 5.3.0 will work with somewhat "old" versions of gcc.
epbbkb

Post by epbbkb »

So for those people that do want to do batch remuxing of your old MakeMKV mkv backups using mkvmerge, here is what I did. I first created a file called filelist.txt that contained all of the names of the files that I wanted to remux. I then created a .bat file with the following:

@echo off
for /F %%i in (c:\filelist.txt) do (
mkvmerge -v -o <output_file_path>\%%i <input_file_path>\%%i
echo del <input_file_path>\%%i
del <input_file_path>\%%i
echo move <output_file_path>\%%i <input_file_path>\%%i
move <output_file_path>\%%i <input_file_path>\%%i
)
@echo on
;

Open a command prompt, go to where you saved the .bat file, run it, and go watch some TV. :-)