Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Pecker

Subtitles

Post by Pecker »

I have had great fun over the past couple of months ripping all of my Blu-ray Discs and DVDs using MakeMKV.

However, I've now found that most of the foreign language ones won't display the subtitles. I'm also now led to believe that this is a known problem and has been for some time.

Does anyone know if this is being fixed?

Cheers.

Steve W
crowfax

Re: Subtitles

Post by crowfax »

Pecker wrote:However, I've now found that most of the foreign language ones won't display the subtitles.
MakeMKV rips subtitles without any problem. The issue is likely your playback device/software.

How are you playing back the files?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

WDTV Live media player.

I have one with the official firmware and another with the BRad custom formware - same problem with both.

Steve W
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I have the same player. The WD TV Live won't play PGS subtitles from MKV files. You'll have to extract the subtitles and convert them to IDX.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

crowfax wrote:I have the same player. The WD TV Live won't play PGS subtitles from MKV files. You'll have to extract the subtitles and convert them to IDX.
Okay. Any chance you could tell me how to do that?

Cheers.

Also, is there any chance the WD will be updated to play PGS subs from MKV, or is this not possible?

Steve W
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

You're in luck. New firmware came out yesterday for the WD TV Live. It now supports PGS subtitles inside MKV files.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/? ... fwdtv_live
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

I've just tried the new WDTV Live firmware with a grand total of 00.00% success on my films ripped using MakeMKV.

Actually that's not quite true. Previously it usually said 'Unsupported Subtitle Format', or something like that.

Now it shows the subtitles as being there in the subtitle option, but the subs just don't appear. I've tested this on OldBoy, Run Lola Run and the Italian sections of The Godfather Part 2.

Steve W
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

That's very weird.

What region are you in? I'll order OldBoy and test it.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

crowfax wrote:That's very weird.

What region are you in? I'll order OldBoy and test it.
I'm in the UK (Region 2/B).

It's not just OldBoy. Almost all of my foreign language films wouldn't show subs when I first checked, and I gave up with the new firmware after testing those three.

Steve W
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

crowfax wrote:You're in luck. New firmware came out yesterday for the WD TV Live. It now supports PGS subtitles inside MKV files.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/? ... fwdtv_live
FWIW, you have to check the full release notes to see the new feature. The firmware version is 1.06.15_V.

This is good news, whether it actually works yet or not - as it suggests WD does intend to support PGS in MKV.

:D :D :D
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Romansh wrote:This is good news, whether it actually works yet or not - as it suggests WD does intend to support PGS in MKV.
I have it, it does. I've tested many different discs now.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

crowfax wrote:
Romansh wrote:This is good news, whether it actually works yet or not - as it suggests WD does intend to support PGS in MKV.
I have it, it does. I've tested many different discs now.
Have you tested OldBoy or Run Lola Run yet?

Steve W
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Pecker wrote:Have you tested OldBoy or Run Lola Run yet?
Oldboy should be arriving next week.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

crowfax wrote:
Pecker wrote:Have you tested OldBoy or Run Lola Run yet?
Oldboy should be arriving next week.
It's a superb film.

Steve W
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I've run across something interesting. Do me a favor and remux one of your files that isn't playing the subtitles and try it again. Don't change anything, just remux it with MKVmergeGUI:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html

Does the remuxed file now display subtitles on the WD TV?