MakeMKV and stuttering

Everything related to MakeMKV
anthont05us

MakeMKV and stuttering

Post by anthont05us »

Most of the movies I've watched recently all seem to have a stutter or two in each movie. I've used WMC, VLC, and XBMC, none of them fix the problem. For example, I just ripped the Matrix and I found some stuttering in the movie. I figure it's not the player because the movie will stutter in the same exact location on any one of the players. XBMC doesn't really stutter, but instead pauses at the location where the other player stutter at. Is there any way to fix this problem?
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV and stuttering

Post by setarip_old »

Try a different (high quality) blank media - and burn at a slower speed...

anthont05us

Post by anthont05us »

I'm not burning a movie. These are MKV files that seem to have stuttering problems.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Have you tried NOW playing MKVs that you PREVIOUSLY made that previously did not exhibit this behavior?
anthont05us

Post by anthont05us »

I have, but haven't had a chance to watch every single one of them. Some have the stutter and some don't. Is there any way to fix this problem without having to re-rip the movies? Before I was using my Mac to rip all my movies, but now I'm using my HTPC I built to rip my movies.

When I use XBMC for a movie that stutters it just pause at that part where the stuttering is at. Once it pause the movie has to buffer before playing again, but if I rewind it to the same exact spot where it paused at it plays straight thru. This doesn't happen on the other players, it will just keep on stuttering at the same spot.
anthont05us

Post by anthont05us »

Update

I used tsMuxer to demux one of the MKV files that was stuttering and then used MKVmerge to put the file back to a MKV. Doing all of this took out the stuttering that was in the movie, but the whole process took about an hour. Is there something else thats faster that could fix this problem?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

mkvmerge will accept MKV input, so you should be able to skip the tsMuxeR step.
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

What's your Mac hardware ?

Mac aren't a great machine for play 1080p... ATi aren't too.

What is your Mac ?

What is your version of MakeMKV ?
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
bertha92

Post by bertha92 »

First off i would like to say hello to everyone here. First post so only polite to do so.

Hello

Right down to the matter at hand.

I've been ripping Blu Rays for my PCH A-210 and saving them as movie only iso's with HD sound, English Subs and the core soundtrack. (which i think is built into the HD audio anyway). I do this using ClownBD. And touch wood have yet to have a problem with any of the resulting files and work exactly as they should on the PCH.

Now i recently thought i'd give MakeMKV a shot seeing as it does the same basically but saves it in the MKV container. The reason for trying MKV is that scrapers will pick up more info for them which i like to see. (DTS, 1080p etc) And the fact that files will also play via my Mac Mini XBMC too. Perfect.

So i fired it up today and tried to do, i, Robot. The iso worked perfect but the mkv with makemkv seemed to turn out really stuttery. I thought i would try it on VLC and its the same. Terrible Stutter.
stealth82

Post by stealth82 »

anthont05us wrote:Most of the movies I've watched recently all seem to have a stutter or two in each movie. I've used WMC, VLC, and XBMC, none of them fix the problem. For example, I just ripped the Matrix and I found some stuttering in the movie. I figure it's not the player because the movie will stutter in the same exact location on any one of the players. XBMC doesn't really stutter, but instead pauses at the location where the other player stutter at. Is there any way to fix this problem?
I experienced the same exact problem doing a test with the last X-Men movie. It was my first try with the latest version of MakeMKV. I'm now uncertain about using it on a regular basis.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Could you try remultiplexing the MKV files with mkvmerge GUI (part of Mkvtoolnix) and check whether it improves anything?
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

Your problem seem normal to me.

MakeMKV decode the disk but he don't modify the content for optimizer it for your machine... or optimizer it for playback ability.
If they're is some variable data rate on the disk, he copy it as IS.

Mediaplayer and Mac (most time) aren't great machine for decode video content.

I'm not sure where is the problem since your don't give to few detail.
1. Many player could have the stuttering at the same place... since most of them are based on the same decode plug-in (FFDshow)
2. I'm not sure if you trying to play it on your Mac or on a mediaplayer.

If you want remove your stuttering, you should re-encode it (optimizer for the Web or playback compilant with a program like Handbrake).
Just try it, you'll see this fix your problem.

And if you telling you... my Mac never stuttering before:
-Mac software have some tweak for being more user friendly.
Like Quicktime player... will automaticly reduce the video quality over stuttering.
So he'll play a HQ movie.. even if he reduce the quality over 50%...
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

anthont05us wrote:Most of the movies I've watched recently all seem to have a stutter or two in each movie. I've used WMC, VLC, and XBMC, none of them fix the problem. For example, I just ripped the Matrix and I found some stuttering in the movie. I figure it's not the player because the movie will stutter in the same exact location on any one of the players. XBMC doesn't really stutter, but instead pauses at the location where the other player stutter at. Is there any way to fix this problem?
Only for DVD sources, and only for ones that use multi-angle/interleaved video, this is a confirmed bug in MakeMKV. It will be fixed in a next version (1.7.0) , the current workaround is to run mkv file through mkvmerge.