Is fix for LPCM coming to MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
jsc1205

Is fix for LPCM coming to MakeMKV?

Post by jsc1205 »

Mike

Is there a fix coming that will correct the issue of LPCM and MakeMKV? Read some other posts from quite awhile back that it was discussed...something about the wrong ID or something of that nature getting added on to the PCM file. For example, the Blu-rays Ived ripped that have LPCM uncompressed audio, when read by MediaInfo comes back as PCM (Microsoft). So when I play the MKV file back on my Dune HD Duo there is no audio at all.

Would just like to know if a fix is coming since a good handful of my movies have the uncompressed LPCM audio track and would like to use it. Really would like MakeMKV to basically handle the issue instead of going through countless other steps when MakeMKV could do it in just one click.

I have found ByteCopy and tried using it since its supposed to handle lossless LPCM, but when it tells you its going to take 4-5 hours to rip just one movie.....well thats crazy and MakeMKV can do it in a snap!

Thanks for any info you can provide
mike admin

Re: Is fix for LPCM coming to MakeMKV?

Post by mike admin »

With a version of 1.7.0 ( whether this would be the next version or not, I don't know) you would be able to save LPCM as raw PCM with any channel order, without MS WAV header. This has noticeable drawbacks but should work for the time being. Very soon after that MakeMKV will have the ability to save LPCM as FLAC. And today MakeMKV already can open MKV files, so you will be able to transcode MKV files that you have already.

As of today you can use eac3to to extract or transcode LPCM to FLAC for MKV files with LPCM in WAV container.
Reiter

Post by Reiter »

I'm an idiot so, what does this mean?:

"you would be able to save LPCM as raw PCM with any channel order, without MS WAV header."

And what are the drawbacks?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

A multi-channel LPCM audio has, well, multiple channels. For example Left,Right,Center,Surround left, etc . The "raw" LPCM was invented when files were mono or stereo, so the channel order is not preserved. When audio is saved as raw LPCM you have to remember exact channel order in your head, and only hope that player software would assume the same channel order. To complicate things, DVD, blu-ray and windows all use different channel order by default. First 3 channels are alway s L,R,C but next channels are in different order. So if you have an MKV file with 7.1 LPCM audio, great chances are that you will have trouble later playing it on any particular player.

The LPCM in WAV container and FLAC do preserve and store channel assignment information.