Reencoding AFTER makemkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
NomadCF

Reencoding AFTER makemkv

Post by NomadCF »

1st off I love this software, it's simple and extremely user friendly.

And this question really isn't really about makemkv, but more (or completely) about after ripping a DVD with makemkv. I've ripped all my DVD using and again I loved the simplestitly of it all. But I was wondering if any one knew of a "just as simple" want t convert these MKV(mpeg2+multi audio) to a MKV(H.264+multi audio). I'm looking to retain the quality of the Video and I really really don't want to touch (reencode/etc) the audio(s).

Again I'm looking for simple solution (like makemkv). I know this doesn't does deal directly with with makemkv, but it's "after math" or results. But after using the search + google + 9doom, etc I've come up with no simple solution. I and really hate have to demaux the videos out, reencode each one and finally remaux the video them back into the mkv "by hand".

PS. can't wait for the next version !!
Jahdoh

Re: Reencoding AFTER makemkv

Post by Jahdoh »

You might want to try Ripbot264 v1.14.2.

You can import the MKV, then re-encode to MKV. It has an option to use the same untouched audio while re-encoding using the H.264 for video.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Than ks for the quick response but, ripbot really doesn't like to do the fallowing

1. keep more them 1 audio track or subtitle
2. keep the audio and video in sync

But I tired it again last night anyways and it came out the same. The movie starts out fine and with in a few sec the audio goes out then comes back, but then it's way ahead of the movie. This issue has me a little bit wary about continuing to use makemkv. Because while I do love it's simplicity i'm really of the mind set that there is no reason to store movies in there mpeg-2 format. When we could be storing them in h.264 with no quality loss.

Again though I still do love makemkv, but maybe only for bluray and whats left of hd-dvd. But for DVDs I think I might need to find somethings else, If I can't come up with good, simple way to JUST reencode the video into h.264.

Side note: Yes i am aware of the issues with h.264 on slower non multi core PCs. And yes I am aware of the increased time it would take to convert a steam into h.264 during the rip, and yes I'm aware HD prices per gig are dropping and are dirt cheap. But all that being said, sure I could buy a some large X TB drives to store everything. But then the question is how do you back up all this work you've done ?? Sure would could just rerip all your DVD. But why waste that kinda time when u could just back them up POST rip back to a non dual layer DVD. And maybe multiple mkvs to 1 DVD.

External drives are nice, but like anything else with moving parts they will stop working at some unknown time. I have a WD HD that i've had for years and is still running fine. Where as I've had many many other dies at random times with little or no warning at all. So i really only truly trust optical drives.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

There is always an old long way:
1. use mkvextract to extract m2v video only
2. convert it to h264 (many options), optionally detelecine and crop
3. mux a new MKV with mkvmerge using your h264 track and all audio/chapters from original MKV.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

mike admin wrote:There is always an old long way:
3. mux a new MKV with mkvmerge using your h264 track and all audio/chapters from original MKV.
Hi Mike.
Without the Power, then.... "there is always an old long way"....and for some, a learning experience, but practice makes perfect and even more appreciative of what you do . 8)

Thanks Mike, for...."an easier way" that will always get better. :D
webvan

Post by webvan »

mike admin wrote:There is always an old long way:
Did it with handbrake too, but it would really be great to do everyting in one pass, any hope it will be added ?