MKV Files Do Not FF and Stop Near End

Everything related to MakeMKV
poesson

MKV Files Do Not FF and Stop Near End

Post by poesson »

I've got a WDTV Live Plus that I use to watch my MKV files. For whatever reason my HDTV won't play the large MKV files. I've noticed that about 20% of the MKV's I create with MakeMKV will not let me FF or Rewind. The TV tells me that it does not support trick mode. All of these MKV's that won't let me do FF or Rewind also stop playing after about 80% of the movie is done.

Since I can't FF or RW, I can't just start up again and FF to where it stopped. I'm not doing anything different on these than any other MKV's that I create. I have gone to my PC and used VLC to see if there is more content at the end of the video file and there is. So I don't know why the movies are stopping near the end.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can you give me an idea why this is happening with just some files and not others?
setarip_old

Re: MKV Files Do Not FF and Stop Near End

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Is your player limited to 4Gig maximum individual filesize?

poesson

Post by poesson »

No, it's not limited to 4GB. As I mentioned, about 80% of the MKV's I'm making are playing just fine and I've got some well over 30GB. I should have specified that I'm doing Blu-Rays.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

You might try going to the WDlive forum for help as well.

Also, wondering if you have done any further manipulation to the files with other programs after MakeMKV ripped them.
Many of them cause my players to operate irradically. A telltale symptom with me is MKVs that only FF up to 2x. de-muxing and re-muxing with MKVtoolNix usually fixes them

Tony
poesson

Post by poesson »

Yeah, I've got a request in on the WDTV forum, but no joy yet. I have not touched the media with any other software. I use MakeMKV to back them up on hard drive and then use MakeMKV to create the MKV file.
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

poesson wrote:Yeah, I've got a request in on the WDTV forum, but no joy yet. I have not touched the media with any other software. I use MakeMKV to back them up on hard drive and then use MakeMKV to create the MKV file.
As a test try to de/remux them with mkvmerge and see if there are any problems after that. There was a version of makemkv awhile back that caused issues with FF and chapter selection...maybe it isn't fully resolved yet.
poesson

Post by poesson »

I'm not familiar with that process, but I'll read up and see what the issue is. I took the same movie folder and used a third party program (don't know if I can call out names) and it was able to do one large m2ts file that I could play on my WD TV Live Plus. But, for some reason, that particular program will not start when trying to do an mkv.remux. It just sits there and never begins.

I don't know if there's a benefit of MKV over just an m2ts file or not. But the information's there in the folder that I used MakeMKV to back up to hard drive, and the m2ts file played without a hitch. It even gave me the option to FF 16X where the MakeMKV files only allow up to 8X

This seems to be way more complicated than it should be.
Vicky4

Post by Vicky4 »

poesson wrote:I'm not familiar with that process, but I'll read up and see what the issue is. I took the same movie folder and used a third party program (don't know if I can call out names) and it was able to do one large m2ts file that I could play on my WD TV Live Plus. But, for some reason, that particular program will not start when trying to do an mkv.remux. It just sits there and never begins.

I don't know if there's a benefit of MKV over just an m2ts file or not. But the information's there in the folder that I used MakeMKV to back up to hard drive, and the m2ts file played without a hitch. It even gave me the option to FF 16X where the MakeMKV files only allow up to 8X

This seems to be way more complicated than it should be.
Why MKV? Mike outlined it quite well: http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/ Of course, if drive space is no issue for you, then go with m2ts. I prefer to save 5 to 10 times disc space by re-encoding to x264/mkv (with Handbrake) so my 3 TB drive will suffice a little longer.

As for your problem, if you use the unchanged, pure MakeMKV rip, probably it's a problem with one of the common video codecs which are used on blu-ray, or with some of the encoding parameters, in conjunction with your media player.

Do you play the files straight from an attached USB device or via network?

You could also try to give some more info on the video track of a troublesome movie. It should give us info comparable to this sample output (made with mediainfo-gui on Linux):

Code: Select all

(...)
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 2mn 20s
Bit rate                                 : 5 561 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.151
Stream size                              : 93.3 MiB (77%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 114
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1,00:0,20 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22,0 / qcomp=0,60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1,40 / aq=1:1,00
Language                                 : English
Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
Your problem's reminding me of my Asus oPlay, RIP. Also a cute little mediaplayer, but it had so many little quirks and shortcomings that I dumped it a year ago and switched to a neat ION based barebone (nettop), running XBMC (via OpenElec.tv in my case). No way back for me.

Cheers
kajfi8

Post by kajfi8 »

I have exactly the same problem. Some of the mkv files does not allow me to FF and the same files stop before 10-15 min to the end of the movie. I'm using WDTV Live as well, and at first I thought it was a hardware problem. But recently I bought Samsung blu-ray player with mkv support and the same very files act the same on this player as well. When played on laptop on VLC player, they stop at the exactly the same moment even though vlc shown that there is still 10-15min left to the end.

Did any one resolve this issue?
kajfi8

Post by kajfi8 »

Meteorite fixed my files!! http://meteorite.sourceforge.net/