Bad Picture Quality with version 1.6.15

Everything related to MakeMKV
eNoize

Bad Picture Quality with version 1.6.15

Post by eNoize »

Would really like some helpful suggestions for correcting this strange anomaly.

At first, I thought it was a minor glitch because it only happened sporadically, but recently (in the last few days) this has been occurring every time I try to make an MKV. The following pics show what I'm talking about.

Captain America

The Crow

Take Me Home Tonight

I first noticed the effect with '2012.' Figured it was a bad disc or dirty, so I cleaned it with same results and even bought a new disc. Weird thing was that with the new disc, not only did the same issue pop up but it happened at the same frame and time. When I play the discs on PowerDVD or MPC-HC, the picture is perfectly fine. I even went so far as buying a new drive (with updated drivers), figuring the other one was slowly dying. Those pics are from the new drive, same frame and time as the previous drive.

I can't figure it out except that it coincidentally started when I downloaded the latest version of MakeMKV. I uninstall and reinstalled with no luck. Can anyone please help with any suggestions because my last option is changing the SATA cables? But before I do that, I'm wondering if this could a software issue.

Thanks.
setarip_old

Re: Bad Picture Quality with version 1.6.15

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

I'm presuming you're dealing with Blu-ray discs.

In an earlier post (regarding an "XMen" disc) you stated:
AnyDVD running in the background for decryption and then standard MakeMKV procedures.
You should not have AnyDVD running (foreground or background) when using MakeMKV.

Assuming you haven't altered your procedures, I'd suggest you try re-ripping these problematic discs with AnyDVD (or similar program) turned completely off...

eNoize

Post by eNoize »

For those three discs, AnyDVD was not running/disabled. Those are straight rips with MakeMKV.

I'm going to switch cables next and verify the program is completely off. It's so frustrating trying to figure what went wrong in the chain. :x

Thanks for the suggestion, setarip_old.
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

Hi eNoize,
I suppose you stream the contains to a DLNA system. Could you confirm ?
Or your player need the source to be a Streaming contains?

I already see something like this with Toy Story 3 on a Samsung DLNA.

Basicly, the Bluray aren't encode for Streaming. (I think to problem occur when the bitrate is variable)
(For fix it.. you need need modify the source: Adding index and cut the source in many small package)
MakeMKV joint the stream container in an MKV... but this doesn't mean a Streaming system will be able to decode it properly.

For fix this issue I use Handbrake and I reencode the source.
Perhaps there is a faster and easier way with tool like mp4box.
I tried MKVExtract/Yamp and he fail so.. Handbrake do the job.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Hi Icetrips,

The short and quick answer is no, I don't stream via DLNA.

However, I did finally discover the issue and fixed it. My first reaction was to look at software, and it turns out I was right. Only, the problem was in the last place I thought to find it.

Even after replacing the drive and cables, the problem persisted, so I figured there must an interference somewhere along the playback line. To experiment, I started deleting programs I thought could cause it, such as AnyDVD, and then reinstalled after seeing no change. When I finally arrived at Shark007 x64 bit, I found the cause of the problem.
Something in ffdshow was broken that rendered a bad picture. I uninstalled and then reinstalled, and still had the same issue.

Afterwards, I completely removed the entire codec pack and installed the bare minimum -- only the necessary codecs to fit my needs, such as LAV, Direct VobSub and SubRip for converting PGS/SUB/IDX into an SRT. Now, everything works perfect and without a single problem. I didn't even have to reencode the movies above.

All is well and thank you to those who offered some advice.