Cost of MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
trondmm

Re: Cost of MakeMKV

Post by trondmm »

joe42 wrote:
goingbust wrote: The price is 50 euros so that is about $70. The OP is right on the price.
No, the OP is wrong. The price is $50 USD.
No. It depends on where you live.

If you live in the US, the price is $50. If you live anywhere else in the world, the price is €50, which is about $70.
joe42 wrote:It may also be 60 Euros (after tax), but it is ridiculous to quote the Euro after tax price converted to dollars, when the actual US dollar price is $50.
And you can hardly blame MakeMKV for any taxes imposed by one's own country.
Tax is added to the price of €50, so the price difference between $50 and €50 is completely unrelated to taxes.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

trondmm wrote:
joe42 wrote:
goingbust wrote: The price is 50 euros so that is about $70. The OP is right on the price.
No, the OP is wrong. The price is $50 USD.
No, it does not. The price is $50 USD if you pay in dollars. The Euro price CONVERTED TO USD may be different, but as I already said, it is ridiculous to quote the Euro price in USD when there is already a direct USD price.

The price is $50 USD. It is NOT $70 USD or $80 USD or whatever. The OP was wrong.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

joe42 wrote:
trondmm wrote:
joe42 wrote: No, the OP is wrong. The price is $50 USD.
No, it does not. The price is $50 USD if you pay in dollars.
Sigh!

You are right; it is $50 if you pay in dollars. However, only people living in the US (or, possibly, only people using an IP-address from a US address range) get the option to pay in dollars. So I'll still argue that it depends on where you live.

Here's what the order page looks like to me:

joe42 wrote:The Euro price CONVERTED TO USD may be different, but as I already said, it is ridiculous to quote the Euro price in USD when there is already a direct USD price.
Which isn't available for non-US customers.
joe42 wrote:The price is $50 USD. It is NOT $70 USD or $80 USD or whatever. The OP was wrong.
Only for American users.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

trondmm wrote: Only for American users.
Wrong again. The price is $50 USD. For anyone.

Now, if you pay in Euros, the price may be XX Euros. But the price is still $50 USD.

The OP is wrong. You are wrong. It is absurd to quote the Euro price converted to USD when there is already a USD price.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

In my opinion, you are both right and wrong joe42.

It is silly to convert a EUR price to USD since we already know the USD price is $50 USD.

But as is clearly displayed in the picture, the price in EUR countries is 50 EURs. 50 USD is about 37 EURs, and 50 EURs is about $67 USD.

trondmm - Obviously, only people paying in United States, or who are using US currency, would be paying in USD.

Going back to the first post, pansonsito claimed it was $70. It is not $70, unless you are in a EUR based economy and you are converting the 50 EURs to USD, or you believe the price listed at VideoHelp(which we know to be wrong). If you are paying in USD, it is $50 USD, not $70 USD.

SC
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

joe42 wrote:
trondmm wrote: Only for American users.
Wrong again. The price is $50 USD. For anyone.
Now you have completely lost me.

In what way does MakeMKV cost $50 for me? What can I do to buy MakeMKV for $50? (without actually moving to the US?)
joe42 wrote:Now, if you pay in Euros, the price may be XX Euros. But the price is still $50 USD.
Actually, no. The price is €50, but Americans get a discount, and only have to pay $50.
joe42 wrote:The OP is wrong. You are wrong. It is absurd to quote the Euro price converted to USD when there is already a USD price.
Converting the Euro price to USD is simply a convenience, so that people that don't keep track of currency prices will understand what amount we're actually talking about here. That doesn't change the fact that MakeMKV costs €50 to most of the world, and that only americans get away with $50.

There isn't a USD price and a Euro price. There is a price for Americans - in USD, and there's a price for everyone else - in Euro.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Smithcraft wrote:But as is clearly displayed in the picture, the price in EUR countries is 50 EURs. 50 USD is about 37 EURs, and 50 EURs is about $67 USD.
No, it's not "EUR countries". It's not even EU countries or European countries. It's everyone that's not USA.

Allow me to illustrate:

Here are the Euro countries:

These are the EU countries:

Here's Europe:

And here are the countries that must pay 50 Euro for MakeMKV

(actually, I'm not sure about Canada, and I know parts of Russia is in Europe. You get the drift, though.)
Smithcraft wrote:trondmm - Obviously, only people paying in United States, or who are using US currency, would be paying in USD.
I fail to see why that's obvious. I buy lots of things on the net. Most of the time, I pay in US Dollars. We don't use the Euro in Norway, so why would it be more obvious for me to pay in Euro than in US Dollars? Why would it be more obvious for someone living in Mexico to pay in Euros over US Dollars?
Smithcraft wrote:Going back to the first post, pansonsito claimed it was $70. It is not $70, unless you are in a EUR based economy and you are converting the 50 EURs to USD, or you believe the price listed at VideoHelp(which we know to be wrong). If you are paying in USD, it is $50 USD, not $70 USD.
There are about 332 million people living in a "EUR based economy". There are about 313 million people living in a USD based economy. The remaining 6355 million people will also have to pay in Euro.

Honestly. I don't know why it's so hard to accept that the price isn't simply "$50". It's "$50 if you live in USA, €50 if you don't"
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

This seems to be interminable.

I'd remind you that this is a forum solely for BETA TESTING MakeMKV, not for discussing pricing or marketing strategy.

There are other means to, as a customer, contact the publishers with such questions/concerns...

trondmm

Post by trondmm »

setarip_old wrote:This seems to be interminable.
Well, the root cause of the problem is that the price is a secret. It would IMO be a lot better if the actual price was listed on the front page of makemkv.com
setarip_old wrote:I'd remind you that this is a forum solely for BETA TESTING MakeMKV, not for discussing pricing or marketing strategy.
Sure, but at the moment, we aren't even discussing if the price is too high or not. We're simply dicussing what the price actually is, and whether or not it is wrong to say that "the price is $50 in USA and €50 in the rest of the world" if the price is $50 in the US
setarip_old wrote:There are other means to, as a customer, contact the publishers with such questions/concerns...
I have already bought my license, so I don't really care about the price anymore. Right now I'm just curious about how joe42 figures that the $50 price is available for everyone. Is it technically possible to trick the system into letting you pay in dollars? Sure. But that's the same as switching price tags in a store. Just because it's possible, and you may get away with it, doesn't mean that the price you got it for is the actual price.
Bionic71

Post by Bionic71 »

General MakeMKV discussion "Everything related to MakeMKV"

Add a Paypal link & get this over with.
Yes you can fool paymentprocessors, that's between you & them, it's not legal & your transaction may stall.
It's not the first time these discussions occur, they will continue.. proper it & questions begone.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

@trondmm - I'm not sure why you are debating this with me, when I am agreeing with you!

It would be obvious, in that if I purchase something that is offered in the US for purchase in USD that I would purchase it in USD. If I purchase something in England, I purchase it in Pounds, if I purchase something in Japan I purchase it in En, if I purchase something in Europe I purchase it in Euros. To me that is obvious.

Also, are you sure that everyone in that last map is paying, in default, with Euros?

SC
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Smithcraft wrote:@trondmm - I'm not sure why you are debating this with me, when I am agreeing with you!

It would be obvious, in that if I purchase something that is offered in the US for purchase in USD that I would purchase it in USD. If I purchase something in England, I purchase it in Pounds, if I purchase something in Japan I purchase it in En, if I purchase something in Europe I purchase it in Euros. To me that is obvious.
Sure, but where are you purchasing something you download from the internet? Are you purchasing it in the country the seller is located in, or in the country you are in?

I've purchased AnyDVD HD from Slysoft. I was in Norway, Slysoft is in Antigua and Barbuda. I still paid in Euro. Even shops that sell physical goods doesn't necessarily charge in their local currency. I buy lots of stuff from dealextreme.com, which is located in Hong Kong. They too charge in US Dollars. I also buy a lot of DVDs/Blu-rays from play.com. They're in Jersey (the original one), and even though they're neither part of the UK or the EU, they charge in either British Pounds or Euro. (The Jersey Pound has a 1:1 exchange rate with the British Pound, though).

BTW: Avantgate is located in the Netherlands.
Smithcraft wrote:Also, are you sure that everyone in that last map is paying, in default, with Euros?
Yes.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

AnyDVD HD - I paid in USD, but I could have just as easily paid in EC. However, with the EC fixed, it really wouldn't make a difference would it?

SC
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

@trondmm: I confirm Canada is 50.00 EUR.
50.00 EUR = 66.5710 USD

So you paid $16.57 more if you don't live in USA. Many companies arround the world doing something similar.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA