MakeMkv As a Disk Streaming Service

Everything related to MakeMKV
mdibella

MakeMkv As a Disk Streaming Service

Post by mdibella »

I've got MakeMKV working successfully as a Windows Service Application using the Resource Kit srvany.exe program. The configuration serves the media mounted in disk0 for streaming.

Here are the registry details:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MakeMkvSvc\Parameters]
"Application"="C:\\Program Files\\MakeMkv\\makemkvcon.exe"
"AppDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\MakeMkv"
"AppParameters"="stream --messages=makemkv.log --upnp=1 --cache=128 --bindport=51000 --decrypt disc:0"

Question:

The makemkvcon.exe process doesn't seem to survive runtime dismount/remount of the media. Is there a command switch or other setting to configure this? Ideally, MakeMkv would disable the streaming server when the media was dismounted, but stay in memory, and automatically re-analyze new media when mounted. This would allow MakeMkv to stay resident and act as a "hands-free" streaming media server for optical media. Thoughts?

FYI, I have Autorun disabled on my dev machine, so maybe this already works but requires that setting?
Icetrips

Re: MakeMkv As a Disk Streaming Service

Post by Icetrips »

Great idea but...
This mean you have to enter a BluRay in your pc.

Why you don't just but all movie on a 2tb hd and share it with MCE (this become video on demand)?
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
mdibella

Post by mdibella »

I often watch a movie once and never again.

Seems a poor use of resources (my time and disk space) to transcode and store content I may never review again.

Favorites definitely warrant archiving...one-time fare, not so much.

Right now, I simply restart the service after media is mounted. My media server is headless: I use extenders or DLNA for all rendering. To restart the service, I have to remote into the box...this is too complex a process for my wife to master.

My suggestion seems like the like a perfect solution. Solves the problem and has high WAF (wife acceptance factor).
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

WAF factor is great :)
Mine just rewatch everything it's why I turn "On demand".

But for your problem... look like the ressource need to be restarted everytime.
There is 2 work around for this problem:
1.You could put an icons on the desktop. Click and if you enter a new one, you need to close and restart it.
(This is really manual :( )

2. Could probably be associate to "enter a new BluRay Media".. option "Stream to Tv".
Create a cmd/bat with the current action.
1. kill the previous kill makemkvcon.exe
2. start makemkvcon.exe with params.
(could be also as a service.. kill the service and restart it)

This is work around for now.

The best should be: Mike make the change to the code for makemkvcon.exe remount drive when you exit and enter a new media.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
mdibella

Post by mdibella »

Quick update.

Thanks for the help.

Using TweakUI I was able to register my own AutoPlay handler for DVD media which executes the PSService tool from Sysinternals (now Microsoft) to restart my MakeMKV service built with SRVANY.exe.

I also had to install a registry mod to disable Autorun so that DVDs with autorun.inf didn't execute the autorun instruction instead of the Autoplay action.

So far seems to work well. Pop in a disk, Windows reads it, if TS_VIDEO folder is present, the MakeMKV service is restarted the reads the IFOs and started the uPNP interface...