The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Everything related to MakeMKV
metagol

The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Post by metagol »

Hi,

I installed MakeMkv and i got the error message below:

The program can't find any usable optical drives. The BETA version requires administrative privileges for drive access.

I have only ONE user account on my pc and of course the user is the administrator.

I am running VISTA.

Any help?

thanks in advance,
meta
mike admin

Re: The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Post by mike admin »

There is a known problem with some drives on AHCI controller under vista. You may try to disable AHCI in bios, but there is no other workaround.
metagol

Post by metagol »

Thanks for your answer... but it was tricky :shock:

I looked for "disable AHCI in bios" in google there are many links suggesting the procedure below:

(i paste this link as an example) http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/155040- ... -bsod.html
1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

THIS HAS FORCED ME TO RE-INSTALL MY VISTA FROM SCRATCH

I first did the bios change... and then my vista could not start :? after i set it back and i went to the registry and did the procedure above :shock:

Blue Screen at start up EVEN WITH SAFE MODE :cry:

So I went back to bios and set the AHCI mode to IDE and RE-installed VISTA from scratch... and now MakeMKV works :mrgreen:

Be very careful before messing up with this setting, the pc i am using is only for multimedia so it was not that long to re-install as it is vista + firefox + the media program needed extra e.g. VLC, Xvid,... if you have a full pc with plenty of program installed I do not recommend this workaround :!:

I am glad I ripped a HD-DVD as a test but VLC can not send 5.1 sound to my receiver or show subtitles! Even if choose 5.1 in sound options it continues in stereo... Should I use another program if I want to playback 5.1 surround?

Suggestion: A shot down option when makemkv is launched so you can let it work and go sleep :-)

thanks for this great tool... i will do some more test and if it is as easy as the first test... i will buy it for sure!
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

Hi metagol.
What version of VLC? I've had to sometime set Audio from the preferences to ...Win32 wave out.... in new 1.0 versions and prior nightlies for 5.1 playback along with the typical SPDIF/Out setting and connected out from coaxial or optical Output connection. Have for tried any other Players? :?:

Glad you were able to recover from that Vista Happening. :roll: :)

I agree with you very much, that MakeMKV is a great program. :D
metagol

Post by metagol »

Hi Chiasmos,

It seems the problem is with VLC, I got the latest version 1.0.0. My PC is connected through SPDIF and I got the latest drivers...

I tested KMPLAYER and mplayerc_homecinema_x86_v1.2.908.0, The 5.1 sound works!

:? VLC is my favorite player... now I'am using KMPlayer.

I have another BIG issue, none of the players above can read the subtitles... anyone has an idea?

I am not native english speaker, I like to watch OV movies with french subtitles :mrgreen:

kr,
Meta