full disc back up or .mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
squirrelman10

full disc back up or .mkv

Post by squirrelman10 »

so i just read that you can back up the entire disk, does it make it into an .iso?? also is the full disk back up more space than the mkv version?? what is the difference
Sion28

Re: full disc back up or .mkv

Post by Sion28 »

That in no way answers the OP's question.
That FAQ entry does not specify if the output is an unencrypted .ISO, or a folder of files, or if there's an option for either.
That FAQ entry also does not indicate which (backup or mkv) will take up more space on the destination media.
Can you please answer these questions? Thanks! :)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@squirrelman10

Hi!
so i just read that you can back up the entire disk, does it make it into an .iso??
No.
also is the full disk back up more space than the mkv version??
Yes.
what is the difference
At the very least, a small difference would occur regarding the AACS copy protection, that doesn't get incorporated into any .MKV file.

Of course, if you make a "movie-only" .MKV, it also would not include menus or "Extras"...
bw001

Post by bw001 »

I've found that I can use Imgburn to create an .iso from the resulting folders/files created from a full disc backup.
Crazy Marty

Post by Crazy Marty »

Actually, using "backup" instead of "copy titles" could save a lot of space!

For instance, the Avatar Collector's Edition 1st BD can show you 3 different versions of the full movie: 1 with no scenes deleted; 1 with *some* scenes deleted; the last with *more* scenes deleted (the theatrical version). It's done by using 3 separate mpls (playlist) files (all chapters in the 1st, some missing from the 2nd, and more missing from the 3rd), so "copy titles" will get you *3* *separate* *30GB+* movies -- from a disc that only holds 50GB total.

~/makemkv/Avatar - Disc 1$ ls -1s|sort -rn
33903808 title18.mkv
32619588 title05.mkv
30549528 title06.mkv

(sizes in kilobytes).
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

Crazy Marty wrote:Actually, using "backup" instead of "copy titles" could save a lot of space!

For instance, the Avatar Collector's Edition 1st BD can show you 3 different versions of the full movie: 1 with no scenes deleted; 1 with *some* scenes deleted; the last with *more* scenes deleted (the theatrical version). It's done by using 3 separate mpls (playlist) files (all chapters in the 1st, some missing from the 2nd, and more missing from the 3rd), so "copy titles" will get you *3* *separate* *30GB+* movies -- from a disc that only holds 50GB total.

33903808 title18.mkv
32619588 title05.mkv
30549528 title06.mkv

(sizes in kilobytes).
Search for a program called "xin1generator", it can create one MKV with all three versions of the film - something I hope to see one day in MakeMKV. I have all three versions of Avatar, with the HD audio, in one 38GB file.
Crazy Marty

Post by Crazy Marty »

robpdotcom wrote:
Crazy Marty wrote:Actually, using "backup" instead of "copy titles" could save a lot of space!

33903808 title18.mkv
32619588 title05.mkv
30549528 title06.mkv

(sizes in kilobytes).
Search for a program called "xin1generator", it can create one MKV with all three versions of the film - something I hope to see one day in MakeMKV. I have all three versions of Avatar, with the HD audio, in one 38GB file.
Hey, that's great -- and since the source is available under the MIT license, I believe it would be just fine to use it within makemkv! What do you think, Mike?