Is converting disc content to mkv files really necessary?

Everything related to MakeMKV
robpdotcom

Re: Is converting disc content to mkv files really necessary

Post by robpdotcom »

MilesAhead wrote:I don't buy externals. I use USB 3.0 docks with internal drives.
If you take the enclosure off an external drive, it's just a normal internal drive.

It's not too hard to find out which internal drive is sold in the different enclosures - if you're looking for a specific model.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

robpdotcom wrote:
MilesAhead wrote:I don't buy externals. I use USB 3.0 docks with internal drives.
If you take the enclosure off an external drive, it's just a normal internal drive.

It's not too hard to find out which internal drive is sold in the different enclosures - if you're looking for a specific model.
Since you already know why not tell me which are WD Caviar Black 1 TB 6 Gb/s 64 MB cache and save me some time?
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

I don't already know, but I've found it before by using a web search. A Caviar Black may not be one you'll find though.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

robpdotcom wrote:
Except for when they aren't. I believe WD is notorious for having external drives that different connectors that only connect to the bridge board in the external case.

SC
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

Vicky4 wrote:
Trespasser wrote:(...)It is very much appreciated by me and I'm sure many other Linux users. :).
+1 from me! And I too have dumped the whole idea of burning media to discs altogether. MakeMKV+Handbrake+mkvtoolnix-gui+XBMC (more specificaly openelec in my case) - the perfect combination and all native linux. My thanks to all involved developers!
+1 :D :D :D

MakeMKV is great! Began using it a few years back with Windows and it is just a treat in Linux just like has been noted. Another thanks to Mike and all for the efforts in maintaining this wonderful program.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

MakeMKV is great!
I like it quite a bit myself. I bought my copy over a year and a half ago. I don't regret the purchase and use it frequently. :)