LPCM and MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
robpdotcom

Re: LPCM and MKV

Post by robpdotcom »

paulster wrote:
Romansh wrote:eac3to can downsample to 16-bit, but the default is to preserve the source's bit depth.
It will also intelligently reduce the bit-depth to 16-bit if the source is 24-bit but doesn't use the least-significant 8 bits. I've found this on quite a few ostensibly 24-bit LPCM tracks.

The empty 8 bits are very common on TrueHD tracks. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that all TrueHD tracks must be 24bits, so they often contain empty bits.
RedBadger

Post by RedBadger »

Just want to make another comment. After a lot of testing, it turns out this wasn't a problem with MakeMKV at all. It was my stupid external drive corrupting the files. Although I'm not sure yet if its the external case itself, or the cable causing it.
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

the problem I'm having with both LPCM and FLAC is the channel mapping.

MKV for some reason moves the two side channels to the rear, which doesn't sound great in a 7.1 system. It'd be nice to see a fix for this, along with the option to convert lossless audio to FLAC.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

eNoize wrote:the problem I'm having with both LPCM and FLAC is the channel mapping.

MKV for some reason moves the two side channels to the rear, which doesn't sound great in a 7.1 system. It'd be nice to see a fix for this, along with the option to convert lossless audio to FLAC.

What program are you using to convert to flac? I'm surprised you are having issues using flac. As far as I know, flac should support 7.1 audio and in an mkv container it should be no problem. Anyone else ever done 7.1 audio in flac in an mkv file?
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

I'm using eac3to, and the issue is playing a 5.1 LPCM soundtrack on a 7.1 system -- two side channels are for some reason mapped as two rears, so side speakers are completely silent. When converting to FLAC, I can't seem to get the right channels working, probably just my fault because I can't figure out the right command line. Only solution I've been able to use is configuring audio output to 5.1 in Playback Devices rather than 7.1

I have like literally no complaints whatsoever with MakeMKV. It's an awesome program! This is practically the one and only thing I would like to see fixed.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

@eNoize:

It sounds to me like Window's audio mixer is mixing up the channels. Use Reclock in WASAPI mode and you'll bypass Window's audio mixer - should fix your problem.
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Looks like that might have worked better than anything else I've been trying. Still had to set Playback Devices to 5.1 instead of 7.1, but the AVR now actually shows a 5.1 audio stream (all channels firing!) without compromising other 7.1 soundtracks. Don't even have to convert to FLAC anymore if I don't want to.

Thanks rob for the suggestion. :D
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

If Reclock is using WASAPI mode, it shouldn't matter what you have Windows set to - you could set it to mono, and Reclock will send 5.1 for 5.1, 7.1 for 7.1, etc.

If you need help setting up Reclock, read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152520