AACS v31 - Any BD programs that support this yet?

Everything related to MakeMKV
xanas

AACS v31 - Any BD programs that support this yet?

Post by xanas »

I looked at Any DVD HD but the problem with that program is I can't tell if it supports my discs because the changelog doesn't say if it supports v31 and the trial version won't download keys.

I am guessing since makemkv only recently added v30 that v31 may be a few months away, so this is why I'm curious. I've had a number of discs I bought recently that are v31 and I prefer to backup my media and use it with my laptop/projector to keep the discs protected.
mike admin

Re: AACS v31 - Any BD programs that support this yet?

Post by mike admin »

What happens when you open a V31 disc with MakeMKV?
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

xanas wrote:I looked at Any DVD HD but the problem with that program is I can't tell if it supports my discs because the changelog doesn't say if it supports v31 and the trial version won't download keys.

I am guessing since makemkv only recently added v30 that v31 may be a few months away, so this is why I'm curious. I've had a number of discs I bought recently that are v31 and I prefer to backup my media and use it with my laptop/projector to keep the discs protected.
Try opening it with Makemkv. It might still work.
xanas

Post by xanas »

Good point, I didn't say where I ran into a problem.

When attempting to open the discs after about 10 minutes it pops up a message that notifies me that the protection is new and provides me a link to click to report this new protection. I have clicked the links on both discs this affected to report the issue. Specifically this was with ef ~ a tale of melodies & Dream Eater Merry (US releases by Sentai Filmworks). I imagine that these aren't exactly top of the list purchases for most people as there are BD Rips online for the Japanese versions of these shows, but in my case I want to backup my own copy since it has the English dub, and that's what I want to watch as I watched them both awhile back in Japanese.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

DVDFab has been able to decrypt the AACS v31 discs that I have, whereas makemkv hasn't been able to yet. So, you can use DVDFab to rip the whole disc to an .ISO, and then use makemkv on that. That worked for me. It's essentially what I have to do anyway whenever I need to split titles along chapter boundaries, since unfortunately, makemkv doesn't support that yet. That feature is the only reason that I own a license for DVDFab rather than using makemkv exclusively.

However, unless you want to just use the trial version of DVDFab for 30 days or figure out how to get around that and continue to use it (thereby pirating it), it's a bit pricey to pick up DVDFab. DVDFab is Windows-only, but if you're on Linux, it'll work with wine or in Windows in VirtualBox.

Another option is AnyDVD, since I assume that it can do AACS v31 (though I haven't tried it). It's generally very up-to-date, and it should work just fine with makemkv without having to rip the Blu-ray first, but it's also very pricey and Windows-only (and while it'll work in Windows in VirtualBox, it doesn't work in wine).

Hopefully, makemkv will have AACS v31 support soon though. I have no idea what kind of effort is required to add it.
squirrelman10

Post by squirrelman10 »

what movies have the aacs v31 now? i havent even seen ones with 30 yet mostly 27 or in the 20 range
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

We haven't seen MKB v31. If you have the disc, then please send MKB_RO.inf from this disc to support@makemkv.com . MakeMKV currently support v30 and it's very unlikely that v30 is supported and v31 is not.
xanas

Post by xanas »

I'll send you the file for one of my v31 discs shortly.