3D Bluray

Everything related to MakeMKV
patseguin

3D Bluray

Post by patseguin »

I did a search and posts were 4 years old. Will the current version of MakeMKV rip and retain 3D video? If not is there a timeframe and/or beta?
firionicable

Re: 3D Bluray

Post by firionicable »

They can retain HD video quality, but not sure if it is applicable in 3D videos...Image
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Current versions retain all 3D information when doing a full disc backup.
The next version will have an option to put 3D MVC extension stream into MKV file. The MVC extension stream is related to AVC stream very similarly to what DTS-HD is to DTS stream - most players initially will ignore MVC extension and only play 2D "core".
anbrey

Post by anbrey »

mike admin wrote:Current versions retain all 3D information when doing a full disc backup.
The next version will have an option to put 3D MVC extension stream into MKV file. The MVC extension stream is related to AVC stream very similarly to what DTS-HD is to DTS stream - most players initially will ignore MVC extension and only play 2D "core".
Thanks. Just to make that clear: in other words it means that the files won't play 3D. But why then should I want to create these files? For what purpose create them?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

anbrey wrote:But why then should I want to create these files? For what purpose create them?
It means that is the player supports 3D it'll play in 3D, and if the player does not support 3D, it'll play in 2D.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

anbrey wrote:
mike admin wrote:Current versions retain all 3D information when doing a full disc backup.
Thanks. Just to make that clear: in other words it means that the files won't play 3D. But why then should I want to create these files? For what purpose create them?
So that you don't need to re-rip your disc when your favorite player implements support for it.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

Thanks mike.

We'll await your next version and move forward with the 3D from there. :)
insx72

Post by insx72 »

I'm really confused about this. Could someone explain simply what MakeMKV does and doesn't do with a 3D blu ray? I read posts from 2 years ago saying that a 3D file can be created. Can I play this with Bino?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Current version of MakeMKV:
- preserves all 3D data during backup
- Can create a MKV file with 3D MVC video stream. Presently there are very few players that can play such MKV file, but all the data is there.
insx72

Post by insx72 »

Thank you, that makes sense.
Marsik

Post by Marsik »

Mike, could you please name some players capable of playing such 3D MVC files.

Thank you!
pash43uk

Post by pash43uk »

Help - ive tried converting the 3D video from several isos but they only play in 2D on my mede8er 600 , am i doing something wrong ?
patseguin

Post by patseguin »

I use XBMC and it doesn't support playing 3D ISO's or MVC's. I'm wondering if this next version will create a file that will play in 3D on XBMC (Gotham).
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

XBMC cannot and will not in foreseeable future open 3D MVC format used in 3D Blu-ray.

The best you can do is putting together an Avisynth script to re-encode the movie into H-SBS/H-TAB. MakeMKV is a ripper. It will NEVER re-encode the video.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

trumpet205 wrote:XBMC cannot and will not in foreseeable future open 3D MVC format used in 3D Blu-ray.
With hardware decoding it can, at least on proper NVIDIA cards.